Please Help! 2 Week old chick listless, sleeping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Deerling, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    We have 35 chicks. 27 are two weeks old, the others are a week or two older. The one that seems sick is two weeks old. He is a Salmon Faverolle (sorry if I spelled that wrong, I can never remember how it is correctly spelled). I noticed this morning that when I gave them scrambled eggs he was sleeping at the end under the light and completely ignoring the huge ruckus. I took him out with and tried to give him some on his own and he ignored them, just standing and peeping. I put a gentle buddy in there to try and have her show him the eggs and that didn't work so I put him back in.

I gave them a bit more tonight and same thing, he just sleeps under the light while everyone else is running around peeping. He's been healthy, they all have. This is the first real problem. He's asleep in my husband's hand right now (he's usually very nervous around us and has never settled down or relaxed before when being held). We were gone most of the afternoon, but he was up and walking around when I took them all outside. They are not vaccinated but have been on medicated feed.

Any tips? Would sugar water or separating him from the other chicks be in order? Just keeping an eye on him? I'd hate to lose the little guy, I really like him. We call him Balthazar.

Thanks in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by