Please Help! 2 weeks old. Is this a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kmdsparrow, Sep 27, 2010.

1. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I thought I got three females, but I was just told by the custodian in my classroom who used to farm in Guyana, that Penelope is really a roo. Does anyone else believe that is true also? Here's her/his picture?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Did the custodian say why Penelope is a roo?

[​IMG]

What breed is chick Penelope?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    well, he's got a 50/50 chance of being right.

Looks like an australorp, but it's too early to be certain of sex. Those legs do look thick though, but it could just be the angle of the photo. Another 2 to 3 weeks, it will be easier to tell.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Too young to say much right now! Unless the custodian has a legit means of sexing chicks (there are many superstitious ideas about sexing chicks, but none are real--otherwise lots of us would be using these methods), I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are still 50/50. Post when the chick is about six weeks old and then we'll have a better idea. [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No. By this age, honestly, it should have some resemblance of a comb coming through, but who knows. . . As others have said, your chances can be 50/50. Some cockerels have smaller or slower growing combs.

6. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Thanks. I feel better that at least it's not certain that she is a roo. I'll post again at six weeks.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  7. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I think it's too early to say that with any certainty. S/he barely has wing feathers

8. callen

callen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    if the other chicks were born at the same time then look at the size of the crop if it is bigger than the other chicks it is most probley a roo:cool:

9. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    If I had to make a guess at this stage I would say that the chick will also turn into a roo just going by it's broad head and thick neck and it's upright rooish stance, but as others have said it is a little too early to tell for definite! could you possibly post a pic of the other two you have for comparison?

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Only going from previous experience Im going to say roo. If she/he is feathering slower than the other 2 its a roo. We had a BA that stood like that all the time. Looked like an ostrich and was slow feathering it was a roo. Now I have a BA that feathered in fast but grew a big comb soon. and he is a roo.
    This is jet he didnt stand as upright but had a comb early this is him 10 days old
    [​IMG]
    This is ostrich at about 3 weeks see why we named him this
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by