PLEASE HELP! 2-wk old chick has curled in leg and will barely eat.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by uglybeat, Aug 30, 2010.

1. uglybeat

uglybeat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    I have 2 new chicks from my Silkie roo and Gold Brabanter (should be a very interesting looking chicken!). One of them has a curled up leg that she won't use as of this morning. She's about 2 weeks old. They are free-range in my backyard and I just put Poly-vi-sol in the water today. When I pick her up she protests and will hop away but only on that one good leg. I don't believe her leg is hurt or broken. Could it be a vitamin deficiency? The other chick is fine so far. She's so incredibly cute, I just can't stand it!!!

2. bayberrysilkies

bayberrysilkies New Egg

Aug 8, 2010
    Greetings, Contratry to what a lot of people say, i have seen splayed leg and twisted legs or toes when their is a humidity imbalance during the hatching process. I have had had chickens with this conditon to go on to never produce chicks with the same condition. If the chick is young enough you can tape the leg/foot in the proper position and a lot of times it will straighten right out. This link has a lot of good info on repairing leg/foot problems. Best of luck. http://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

3. uglybeat

Jul 19, 2008
    She was born fine and only developed this after 2 weeks...

4. uglybeat

Jul 19, 2008
    She was born fine and only developed this after 2 weeks. do you still think it could happen at a later time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by