please help! 3 chickens that I need help finding breeds

Mrsmith1113

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2016
These 3 chickens belong to my sister, can anyone please help me decide their breeds?

#1 on the left, #2 on the right

#2 side profile

#1 left #2 right

Thank you for any and all help!!!

#1: Jubilee Orpington?

#2: Rhode Island Red / New Hampshire Red

#3: Ancona

Check these breeds out on google images and tell me what you think.

Last edited:
First is a specked Sussex pullet. Second is a production red or NH pullet. Is the last one a bantam or large fowl? If LF it could be a silver Leghorn if she got them from McMurray. It is a cockerel though.

First is a specked Sussex pullet. Second is a production red or NH pullet. Is the last one a bantam or large fowl? If LF it could be a silver Leghorn if she got them from McMurray. It is a cockerel though.

She got them from one of our local feed stores here in northern new mexico. I believe they use the hatchery in portales, nm.
I'll have to ask her about #3, it is a rooster, his comb is larger than my large fowl roosters combs, mine are 18 wks, these ones(hers) are younger.

#1: Jubilee Orpington?

#2: Rhode Island Red / New Hampshire Red

#3: Ancona

Check these breeds out on google images and tell me what you think.

Thank you. I've Google searched them in comparison to other comments thoughts and still a bit confused...

Here is a few more pictures

I would say:

#1: Speckled Sussex pullet for sure.

#2: I think some kind of red Sex-Link, which means a cross between a red breed like a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire, and another breed (I think a white breed, right?). ISA Brown and Cinnamon Queen are possibles. Lots of individual variation in exact coloring; no way to tell 100% what her breeds are but I'm pretty certain she's one of those hybrids. If the tip of her tail gets a few black feathers, I'll eat my hat and call her a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red. Those breeds should have black at the very end of the tail, whereas a red sex-link will usually have some white at tail and outermost wing feathers, and the thin neck feathers will usually have some creaminess or white showing in the center of the featers, which we are seeing on this bird.

#3: Ancona for sure. That big white ear is your clue. Possible he's a cross with Ancona and something else but I think he's just young and hasn't fully feathered out yet.

They all appear to be young, maybe around 12-14 weeks for the girls? and I'm not sure about the boy. Keep that in mind when comparing photos online - these birds are likely to continue to change colors as their full adult feathers come in over the next several weeks.

Back
Top Bottom