1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help!3 day old chick w/noodle legs Pictures included** UPDATED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommywoes, Sep 16, 2011.

1. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Okay I have a 2 day old sticky chick that has a swollen foot. It was fine yesterday and today its foot is swollen and hot none of the other chicks have this. What could it be? I don't see a scab so I don't think it's bumble foot.

** Chick is three days old now, and I've wrapped it's legs but its feet are like limp noodles and its using its wings to crawl around. What else can I do? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Probably a birth defect but i don't know, hope others will help you! [​IMG]

3. Moonlight Piano

Moonlight Piano Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never seen anything like that before, Puzzling [​IMG] . The only thing that I would do is gingerly put some ice on it and pray the swelling goes down. That almost sounds dangerouse to do to a chick, but its the only thing I can think of. So sorry [​IMG] .

4. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Aw, can you gently stretch it's wee little legs out and see if they are similar to each other in length and formation? and gently move the toes about on each foot to see if you notice any differences that might help us better pinpoint the problem?

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Last time I saw a post like this, there was something wrapped around the chick's leg. It was part of the umbilical cord. Inspect the upper leg very well.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Goodness, poor thing! I was thinking along the lines of applying something cold to take down the swelling as well...I know that's tough to do when you're trying to keep them warm! Looks like a little Ameraucana or EE? Poor thing. I'm so sorry!

7. tinychickies

tinychickies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    I wish I could help you but I got nothing. I just wanna comment on how cute your baby is. She look like a barn owl chick, love the expression on her face. [​IMG]

8. mommywoes

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Quote:I did that and I could find no noticeable differences.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. mommywoes

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The chick can't walk at all anymore and is just laying flat. When I hold it up its feet turn outwards, and the 'injured' one is almost turned completely out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I don't know if it's a birth defect, that might cause something like that. but I know that sometimes with baby children a hair gets wrapped around a finger or toe and the little finger or toe will start to swell before turning a bluish color.
    sorry about your little chick. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by