Please help. 3 day old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Doodle777, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Doodle777

Doodle777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    I just received my baby chicks in the mail and one of them is much smaller than the rest. It takes a few steps and then kinda sits upright on its butt. It isn't interested in eating or drinking either. I have been dipping its beek in water with vitamins and electrolytes about every 20 minutes. It's eyes seem to be more open and a bit more alert but still barly walking and not eating or drinking. What should I do?
    Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like it is weak from the shipping, but it could have something internally wrong. I'd continue giving it some electrolyte water every hour or so. You can also give it some sugar water, as this will give it more energy. See if it will eat some mashed up scrambled egg, or drink/eat some egg yolk. Just keep an eye on it and make sure that the other chicks don't trample it or injure it.

3. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of mixing some of the vitamin/ electrolyte water with food and springing a tiny bit at a time in its mouth. The poor thing hasn't stop chirping!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Has it ate, or drank yet?

6. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    I am hand feeding her chicken feed with water and vitamin/electrolytes mixed in. She hasn't ate or drank on her own at all. She can walk but is kinda wobbly and doesn't seem to have enough energy to go far.

7. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    I just went to the pharmacy quick and got some Poly-Vi-Sol with iron. They didn't have it without the iron. Does anyone know if that is ok to give her?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could probably give it today, but I would get PolyVisol without iron. Walmart carries it in the vitamin aisle usually.

9. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    I went back out and got some without iron. She seems to be perking up a bit. Taking a few more steps. When she tries to scratch herself she falls over though. I think she is walking straight and I'm pretty sure she doesn't have spraddle leg. But its hard to tell. She is only about half the size of the other chicks.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may be the runt of the gang, but it is good you are taking the time to give her a chance. Dipping her beak into the electrolytes mix will give her strength, and some scrambled or raw egg would be good for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by