Please help! 4 week of chick stepped on by pygmy goat!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Happy Day Farm, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Happy Day Farm

Happy Day Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    I'm not sure what to do so please help. We have 4 week old cochin (mix) chicks. One of our goats stepped on one yesterday. He could walk a little at first but would stumble. He really wanted to stay with his mother other 3 chicks so we let him since he could get around. This afternoon, he was much more mellow. He was laying up against the gate by himself. We took him out and put him in a separate pen next to the coop so he could still see the other chickens. He can barely walk at all. He falls forward for some reason. ??? He also stumbles to the left. I am not sure if something else happened while I was at work or if it just got worse today. We did slip him in under his mother tonight in the coop. He was peeping and we felt bad for separating them. What can we do? I can't tell if its his leg, wing, etc. Should we keep him separated? I am so afraid he won't be able to stay away from the others. I do have a mother and 2 two day old chicks in another pen. I thought about putting him in there but she may not welcome company.

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Poor thing! Hope he gets better.

3. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    Maybe you could give some electrolytes and vitamans to the chick. I am no expert, but that is what I would do.

I hope someone can help you.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you could isolate him in a box or enclosed area. Give him a mirror so he thinks he has company, and a stuffed animal to cuddle with. He may just be very bruised from being stepped on or maybe he has fractures. Does he seem to be in pain, or just ackward? Maybe you could bring him in the house where he will have more attention, sometimes that perks them up.

5. Happy Day Farm

Jun 14, 2010
    He has a great deal of trouble walking at all but doesn't appear to be in pain. I have him in a pen right next to the coop so he feels like part of the flock. I tried to bring him to the house but he went nuts. I don't think he wants to be taken away from his mother and other chicks. Do you think he will heal eventually? I have no idea what is truly wrong. I can't see anything broken or tell by holding him. He is just weak all over. I did notice that his leg hangs out to the side when he sits but I don't feel anything obvious.

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

If he's not in pain then keep him with the flock but protected... give him some time and electrolytes & vitamins... that's what I would do.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

At 4 weeks he needs the warmth of his mother. Just try to keep them all seperate from the other chickens and animals to give him time to heal. hope he gets better soon.

8. Happy Day Farm

Jun 14, 2010
    My husband just said he is 6-7 weeks. Oops...
    Its in the 90s during the day. Do you think he is OK in the coop? It looks like its his "knees" (sorry not sure what its called on a chicken).

9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

ok here is what I did... probably was all wrong but it worked... had a chick that was only about 2 weeks old who had his leg broken, wasn't using it at all... kept him in a cat carrier (wire door)... food and water where he could reach it... interaction with his mom and brother and rest of the flock (through the door), I fed them right out side of his door... covered with a thick towel at night, but he did stay outside next to the coop, with no other heat source... all wrong but he recovered and became my main roo... no limp at all. Hope it works out this well for you.

10. Happy Day Farm

Jun 14, 2010
    Its been 4 days and he is still eating well (my youngest makes his scrambled eggs every morning). He seems to have more pep with the vitamin B complex. He isn't moving at all though. His legs just hang and claws are curled in. Why would that be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by