Please help - 4 week old chick pecking its own neck very badly

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EnglishHenLover, May 12, 2016.

1. EnglishHenLover

EnglishHenLover New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Hi everybody and thank you in advance for reading this,
    We have four chicks all about 3 to 4 weeks old. The largest of them (A cuckoo maran) has begun packing it's a own neck very badly drawing a lot of blood and it's getting worse and worse as I watch. The other three are much smaller (pekin Mille fleur Barbu d'uccle a) and have not been packing it so we don't know why this is happening and we are worried it's going to pack itself to death. It is also looking a bit sleepy and not quite it's boisterous self. Please can anybody advise?
    Thank you so much for your help?
    Harriet

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Harriet. Yorkshire Coop has given you a great link to follow. If the other chicks notice blood, or redness, they will also be pecking this one.

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. EnglishHenLover

EnglishHenLover New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Thank you so much for your replies and friendly welcomes and information.

Thanks to your links I have learned a lot about mites over the last few hours! My adult girls outside have never suffered from mites but now I understand the problem more from your helpful links, I'm concluding that these chicks must have picked them up from a small cage to bring indoors that I borrowed from a friend who keeps hens too. The mites seem to be affecting one of them quite badly but no apparent symptoms on the other 3 chicks yet which is good.

In the past we have hatched fertile eggs under a broody but this time didn't have a broody so have been going down the incubator route for the first time which has been great fun and quite a learning curve!

So I have bought some mites spray powder and sprayed down their cage really thoroughly and plan to introduce them to their first sand/ash bath this evening! I'm going to introduce one for my adult girls too as I didn't realise they might like this. They do have a good go in the dry mud when I let them out to roam around the whole garden a few time a week but I bet they will love that. I'm quite excited to see them when I put it in there and the chicks too.

I'll let you know how it goes and hope to post a picture when I get a mo tomorrow too (they are so sweet!).

I have found this forum so helpful and inspiring whilst reading previous posts and now feel quite grown-up-in-a-poultry-kind-of-way (at 44!) to be writing on here now. I still feel like a beginner even though I just realised that I've been keeping hens for 7 years now and what a great 7 years they have been (no turning back!).

Thanks so much for your help which I really appreciate. I'll let you know how it goes.

Harriet x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by