PLEASE HELP! 4 week old chicks and 3 month old chicks together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ttrjpbcz, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ttrjpbcz

ttrjpbcz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    PA
    I have 15 bantam silkies 3 months old and 7 other non bamtam chicks (EEgers, Polish etc). Can I let them socialize? The little chicks really want to be out in the pen, but I don't know if the bigger silkies (many are male but friendly) will hurt them.

Thanks!
    Tonia

2. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Usually I don't let my chicks out of the brooder until they are about 6 weeks old. I think I would wait awhile to put the babies with the older ones. Do you have a way to divide the pen so that they can see each other without physical contact? That way they can get used to each other. Whenever you decide to put them together be sure to watch them well for a while. There is apt to be some chasing and a bit of pecking but usually there is not much serious violence. Still, it's best to keep watch for a while. I also make a place where the littler ones can escape if they get too scared and that the older ones can't fit into--maybe a door open just enough for the little ones to get through. It won't take very many days until all of your chickens can live together peaceably.

3. ttrjpbcz

ttrjpbcz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    PA
    Thanks so much!

After I wrote this post, I took one of the month old chicks and sat him on the ground in front of me and our blue game bantam rooster who is TINY, but the boss of all the chickens came running over to attack her!! My husband had to pull the roo off the baby!!

She is ok thank goodness, but that obviously wasn't a good idea! I feel so horrible now!!

4. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Don't feel too bad. You were watching closely and rescued the baby before it was hurt. It is scary when they all come at once to check out a stranger. One new bird will often provoke this response more than if there are several birds introduced at once. Of course, it is a lot harder to rescue more than one if there is trouble. Another thing that helps is distracting the older ones with food. They will be so interested in the food that they aren't looking at what else is going on in the pen. I think the best solution is as I mentioned before--allowing them to get to know each other with a see throgh barrier between them. Good luck. I'm sure that everything will work out fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by