Please help: 4mo bantam with swollen itchy eyes and won't open them

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EchoLakeHens, Aug 11, 2011.

1. EchoLakeHens

EchoLakeHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I have a 4 month old americauna who has been having eye problems for about two weeks. Her symptoms are swollen, itchy eyes that she hardly opens. She seems to not be eating the regular food but eats a lot of grass. Could these be allergies or a virus or something? She's been on duramycin 10 for 10 days and has had no improvements. Should I keep with this and what could her sickness be? When I let her out into the yard, she tries to open her eyes and scratch around for food. I just have no idea what it could be. I had her seperated from the rest of the chickens but she got so depressed that I put her back hoping she would eat. None of the other girls has these symptoms. Her feathers aren't ruffled, she runs around when trying to catch her but she doesn't like to open her eyes. I really like my hen, her name is Mable and I hope she doesn't pass [​IMG]

2. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    I'm not sure if chickens get allergies or not? dogs and cats do so I don't know why chickens wouldn't? it almost sounds like pink eye either way I'd try this;Terramycyn eye ointments - an antibiotic eye ointment used to treat bacterial infections of the eye. You can get this at most pet suppliers. Hope your baby feels better! [​IMG]

3. EchoLakeHens

Aug 2, 2011
    Thank you, I'll try that.

4. Orpimom

Orpimom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Chickens can have allergies to dust,pollen,etc.... Have you opened the baby's eyes and cleaned them at all? She could very possibly have eye worms.What other symptoms is she demonstrating? any watery sinuses,coughing,etc....? First thing,you need to open her eyes and clean with a warm water flush.You can then apply a few drops of VetRx to each eye.

5. EchoLakeHens

Aug 2, 2011
    She doesn't have any other symptoms except not eating regular food but just eating grass. I've flushed her eyes out but that didn't seem to help any.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Does she scratch at her eyes? If so, it could be eyeworm. You should be able to see the worm. It is very thin and whittish in color, usually seen in the fron of the eye where tear ducts would be in a human. Here's a pic; there's one worm where I just mentioned and another above the the persons thumbnail:
    [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's also possible that it may not be eyeworm. It could possibly be conjunctivitis caused by a respiratory disease. You would have to have swab culture done to find out what you are dealing with if it's not eyeworm. Here's a link to eye disorders of poultry:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

8. EchoLakeHens

Aug 2, 2011
    I tried to look in her eye but she was not having it. I couldn't get a good look. I also found a couple bugs on her. I don't know if they were lice or mites. Could that be the problem and how do I treat that?

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Use sevin dust on her. You will have to dust the inside of her house, roosts and nests, possibly your other birds as well (I would.) You will have to redust her and the others including the inside of their house again in 10 days to kill nits that were hatched since the initial dusting to end their lifecycle. A canister of sevin dust is $4.97 at Lowe's. Try using a magnifying glass to get a look into the eyes for eyeworm. Have someone help hold her down while you look/see. Eyeworm can cause blindness.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by