Please Help! 6 Barred Rock boys?

Emma is right, the darker ones are normally girls....

With Barred Rocks, yes.

But with Black Sexlinks, the dark barred ones are males and the ones with no barring at all are females.

I might be stirring the pot but the kinda look like black sex link males to me. I'd be curious to see what they look like at 8-10 weeks.

Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing.

6 Barred Rock "pullets" from tractor supply. They are 6 weeks now and all of them are starting to get small waddles. Most of their combs are still yellow for the most part. there is one that is a bit redder than the rest, but not by much. Did I get stuck with 6 roos?

It's those wattles that are making me think you've got males. The wattles seem to get nice and red earlier than the combs do. But I would wait a bit longer before being sure.

The group shot (3rd photo) also does not look quite like Barred Rocks to me. There's something about the coloring that seems off. I think it's the necks that are lighter than the body. Barred Rocks tend to be pretty evenly colored all over.

With Barred Rocks, yes.

But with Black Sexlinks, the dark barred ones are males and the ones with no barring at all are females.

It's those wattles that are making me think you've got males. The wattles seem to get nice and red earlier than the combs do. But I would wait a bit longer before being sure.

The group shot (3rd photo) also does not look quite like Barred Rocks to me. There's something about the coloring that seems off. I think it's the necks that are lighter than the body. Barred Rocks tend to be pretty evenly colored all over.
I see what you're both talking about. I've seen a lot of feed store BR this year with that funky pattern. All I believe were pullets as well. Would be interesting to know if they all came from the same hatchery.

With Barred Rocks, yes.

Do you have any pics of a 6 week BSL male? I'd be curious to compare. thanks!

Good Afternoon,

I purchased 6 Barred Rock "pullets" from tractor supply. They are 6 weeks now and all of them are starting to get small waddles. Most of their combs are still yellow for the most part. there is one that is a bit redder than the rest, but not by much. Did I get stuck with 6 roos?

(Photo of yellow/copper chick is for reference, he is 6 weeks also and his comb/waddles are much larger than the Barred, but i dont know his breed)

Thank you so much for your time!
I agree, they are darker which would lead one to believe they are all pullets. Lucky! TSC is not known for providing what you ask for. I asked for 3 pullets, got three cockerels. Did you take pics when they were chicks? Lack of a white spot on the head would indicate pullet.

I have no black sex links, but I have an image of a 5 week old Plymouth barred rock chick. Look at him now!
E41BFD8D-2461-4D0E-9C7C-DFFB52913155.jpeg
9EE8B8CF-450A-452E-8835-02E79B8E24B3.jpeg

I agree, they are darker which would lead one to believe they are all pullets. Lucky! TSC is not known for providing what you ask for. I asked for 3 pullets, got three cockerels. Did you take pics when they were chicks? Lack of a white spot on the head would indicate pullet.
I didnt take pics, but if i remember correctly, they all had white spots on their heads. they all looked pretty much identical. We couldn't tell them apart. they also developed exactly the same speed for wing/tail feathers. They all have dark washed legs too.

Back
Top Bottom