1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help 6 weeks gender id and sussex vs welsummer

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rogan_and_Sara, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Rogan_and_Sara

Rogan_and_Sara Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    7 pullets and cockerels are approximately 7 weeks old now. I had to resist posting every image I took last weekend. Here is the selection that I thought would be most helpful for Identifying purposes:

Please let me know what you think their gender is and for the two questionables what their breed is.

Two Golden Wyandotte Twins
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One Rhode Island Red Roo
    [​IMG]

One Not Sure - Speckled Sussex vs. Welsummer vs. ???
    [​IMG]

One Ameraucana vs. Easter Egger
    [​IMG]

One Barred Plymouth Rock
    [​IMG]

One Buff Orpington
    [​IMG]

One Group Shot at 5weeks
    [​IMG]

Hope you can confirm my suspicions about some and enlighten me aboutthe others!

Sara

P.S. Please check out the full album here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/SaraWilliams4

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    The pic of the Sussex in question either looks like a Brown Leghorn or Welsummer all depends on the egg color. It is definately NOT a Sussex! [​IMG]

3. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I agree..It looks like a Brown Leggy to me.

The other one that you wonder if its an EE or ameraucana-
    I say an EE cause its not muffed or bearded.

One of your Gold laced wyandottes Looks like roo. It's kinda of hard to tell in the pic, cause their heads are down.

The others seem to be pullets...but I'm not sure.

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    An easter egger and ameracauna are pretty much the same thing if they come from a hatchery. I think that the orpington is a hen . I am not really good about guessing. Could you get a shot of the wyandottes with there head up? That is what tells me the most. I think that the barred rock might be a rooster. Hope This helps.

p.s. what color ear lobe does the brown one have? Red earlobe in most cases means brown egg layer, whereas white earlobe means white egglayer. This does not apply to holland, penedesenca, ameracauna, and I think empordanesa.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. Rogan_and_Sara

Aug 22, 2008
  6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I don't think she's a brown leghorn. I'm not seeing white earlobes. Makes me think welsummer, but I've never had one... so my guess is probably not very good.

7. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    When they are that young it's hard to tell earlobe colors.

EE's and Ameraucanas are not the same. With hatcheries they are, but always are really EE's.

8. Rogan_and_Sara

Aug 22, 2008
    Thanks for the input...I am leaning towards EE and thinking the other is a Welsummer Hen or a Brown Leghorn Roo. Any ideas about which ones might be roosters?? I didn't think the Barred Rock looked rooish but someone did~ what made you think that? When do the Roos start crowing? or fighting? I live in the city and will most likely have to get rid of them [​IMG]

I really appreciate all the responses, it is nice to be able to talk to people who have their own flocks and can speak from personal experience!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by