1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE help. 7 wk old chick twisting and stretching neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilyegg, Nov 3, 2016.

1. lilyegg

lilyegg Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2016
    Illinois
    My seven week old salmon Faverolle mix is acting lethargic, is stretching her neck and twisting it in circular motions, has a little croak/deep sounding noise after peeping. Worried she might have Marek's. no balance problems but her wings are lowered a little. She was ordered from MPC as a Faverolle but BYC members told me she was an obvious mix of a Faverolle and an unknown breed from the hatchery so I wasn't so concerned about her stance or wings being a little droopy because I didn't know what her other parent with the unknown breed was/how they were built and carried themselves (has had droopy wings for a week or so now) but the neck movements are new and scaring me. Please help!!! She's eating and walking and drinking normally.

2. lilyegg

lilyegg Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2016
    Illinois
    She also isn't opening her mouth or wheezing when she breeathes

3. lilyegg

lilyegg Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2016
    Illinois
    She hasn't done the head twisting thing this morning and after work I will check on her again but still worried about Marek's, a respiratory problem, or gape worm. She's not gasping or opening her mouth like she's yawning but she was moving and stretching her neck out quite a lot and moving her neck in a weird way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by