PLEASE HELP! 8 week old badly pecked!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Macleant, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Macleant

Macleant Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Hi there! I tried to introduce my 8 week old babies to my 1 year old flock today. They seemed to instantly be fine around each other. Just roaming amongst each other so I left them alone for a couple hours and came back to find that the two bantie babes had been bullied. One is fine the other has had its bum completely pecked apart. Im not even sure what im looking at. If its insides or not? I put her under warm water to clean her have her in a towel on my chest now but not sure what else to do. I have read in some other articles to maybe put neosporin on her and seperate her for a few days. Anything else i need to do?[​IMG]

2. poppycock1974

poppycock1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    Neosporin without the pain reliever and keep her separated until she's better or they will do it again most likely. Keep applying the medicine when needed and keep an eye on it. I'm sure others will let you know different methods as well

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

You should apply Neosporin without pain medication and an anti-picking solution such as Pick-No-More. Definitely keep her separated for at least several days. It looks like her tail has been badly damaged, her oil gland probably won't function quite at 100% once she's healed but most birds can get along pretty well with damaged oil glands. Be sure to check that her vent has not been damaged as well.

4. Macleant

Mar 22, 2015
    Thank you for your responses! I have been holding her and she is now having trouble standing. I have never dealt with an injury or illness in my flocks so this is a bit scary for me. I put he neosporin all over her back end but am not sure what to use for bedding as i feel the pine shavings would just stick to her wounds.. Any suggestions? Also not sure how to now if her vent is injurred?

5. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    Maybe puppy pads for bedding, towels, old sheet... Not sure really. I have never seen my chickens vents so I can't help on that one

6. Macleant

Mar 22, 2015
    Ok thank you so much! I put a folded towel under her for now. And she ate some fresh corn. So maybe that will give her a little energy. I looked at her vent and it is kind odnprotruding and relly red but i dont think i see any tears or anything. Hard to tell as i have never seen one without feathers around it. I Will keep checking her though. Thanks again. I appreciate you!

7. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    Good luck! I had only one get injured and it was her beak but it was still hard to see her like that.

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Pine shavings work fine, but old towels are OK too if you are that worried about it.

Vent is chicken-talk for anus. Make sure the vent hasn't been as badly picked as the tail. If it has, clean the area thouroughly and apply plenty of Neosporin to the area.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  9. Macleant

Mar 22, 2015
    You guys have been so much help! My little ladiebis doung great! Shes actually gottwn wuite attached to me. Kind of cute! Thenother chicks have accepted her when i took her out to visit so i will be putting her back in with thwm tomorrow:) Thank you!

10. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    That is great to hear!
    Please keep watch when you put her with te others though. With mine, they are fine one minute and then the older girls are chasing and pecking at them the next. Mine have been together for three weeks now and an older girl had a wad of feathers out of one of my younger girls. Mine have been together for three weeks now and an older girl hold a wad of feathers out of one of my younger girls
    I actually waited until they were 13 weeks old before I put them in with the bigger girls because they are practically the same size. I have read A few places that if you wait until they are almost the same size they tend not to pick on the younger ones as much

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by