PLEASE HELP! A bit too much mucus???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickencrazy429, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Hi all.... Today I called my chickens in and I noticed that my one BR was running with her mouth wide open. Her name is Hedwig and she is 7 months old--yes she lays eggs. Anyways-- I didn't really pay too much attention to it, but then she just left her mouth open. After bit, her face looked a little purple, so I quick grabbed her. It sounded like she was having trouble breathing. I looked in her throat and it looked like a bubble of mucus was clogging her throat. I made her drink some water, and then she was feeling much better. Her face went back to its normal color, and she could squawk again. (mind you, she is VERY talkative) She could also breath a lot easier as well... Was it something that she ate that made her have mucus like that? I don't want this to happen again while I'm gone or something... Thank you in advance! --chickencrazy429

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Any other symptoms? Bubbly eyes or any discharge from the nostrils?

She could have just had a wad of food stuck, but it could also be a sign of disease.

3. Nope! No other symptoms... She is acting totally normal this morning, and hasn't had any other signs of that.

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Then I would say it's probably something that got stuck in her throat. Glad she is doing well this morning.

5. Okay! Thanks! My Mom does give my chickens pancakes and waffles and such--should we cut down on the bread?

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

A little bread is fine, but you don't want them getting too much. Like kids, they will fill up on junk, and not eat their dinner.:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by