Please help a fellow BYCer! My chicken has a cold!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiyo, Dec 23, 2012.

1. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi all!

So as the title says, my 3 year old silkie has a cold. I'm in California and the weather here isn't as bad as the east cost but lately it's been rainy and in the mid 50's Fahrenheit. It doesn't look too serious, she is sneezing but she still is going around looking for bugs. It's been crazy rainy recently so today I took her inside for some downtime. I gave her a quick bath as she got into something smelly (my chickens are free range) and blew dry her immediately after. I fixed her some warm boiled beets (its good stuff, its like chicken noodle soup but for chickens) which she ate. She has been eating and drinking like a pro. I noticed some mucus discharge, and she has been sneezing. Is there anything else I should do?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    For mucous discharge... add four teaspoonfuls of ACV per gallon to their drinking water! Cheap and very effective!

Suzie

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    ACV will not treat nor cure a respiratory disease, nor an environmental problem which the OP's bird may have.

5. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks for all the help! Okay so after a day inside, and some pampering the sneezing has stopped. I mixed hot cereal with garlic paste to give her an immunity boost. The hen house is cleaned every two weeks, and I have 4 chickens. I put diatomaceous earth in the house to keep chicken mites at bay. Is the DE what is giving her this respiratory issue?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    That's a very good possibility. I kinda figured it could be something environmental, DE could possibly be the cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by