Please help a newbie.....Hens? Roos? Breed? Age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bm12171, Nov 25, 2012.

1. bm12171

bm12171 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    Bruceville, IN
    I wanted to start with a small amount of chickens, so I just went to an auction barn and bought these. They were all sold together as an assortment (one died next day [​IMG]), but they couldn't tell me the type or age or anything, cause the person who sold them didn't give them this info. Please help a newbie see what they are, will be and approx age. I was thinking about 10-12 weeks on the smaller ones, the larger black one looks to be for sure older, but I don't know. Thanks so much.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    all but the big black wih red comb look like pullets the big black looks like a roo

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

The enormous black one in the back is probably, like ramirezframing said, a youngish cockerel, but it could also be a malnourished australorp/cross hen. The little black one could be a sumatra/cross, not sure on the sex, maybe 8wks (Edited: you're right that they could be 10wks, I'm terrible at the age guessing)? The other ones look that same age, maybe RIR or crosses (one at least looks like it has greenish legs), possible pullets right now but keep an eye on comb development.

They're pretty but they look a little weak right now, especially considering one died. Give them some extra protein (canned cat food, scrambled eggs) and extra sugars (fruits) to help them along, hopefully they're just stressed from the auction and will settle down happily at their new home. Good luck :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  4. bm12171

Nov 24, 2012
    Bruceville, IN
    Thanks SOOOOO much for the info. I would have had NO IDEA to give them canned catfood, eggs or fruits - totally makes sense. I hope they get better. I'll make sure to give them some of this and post some pics in a couples weeks to see if you think they look better. Again, thank you, thank you. Being new, you sure want to make sure you do the right things; I don't anything to happen to them now after getting them. Starting to get rather attached and they are already getting used to me getting into the coop, etc. Have a great night!! [​IMG]

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
  6. bm12171

Nov 24, 2012
    Bruceville, IN
    Thank you so much hdowden, this has been very helpful too. I'll check to see if my TSC or Rural King has these - I would think they should. I made up some scrambled eggs this morning - they were eating it up. I also put a little hamburger we had left over from supper last night. The big black one (aka Foghorn), loved it. haha

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    [​IMG] what color of legs and foot bottoms does this one have?

8. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Aww Foghorn is a cute name!!!

9. bm12171

Nov 24, 2012
    Bruceville, IN
    The legs are a darker, brownish color maybe - they look exactly the same color as the big black one.
    I gave them some scrambled eggs and also bought the sav-a-chick; hopefully this will help my chicks!! Thanks everyone.

10. 2x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by