Please help a newbie!

jjj7jjj

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 16, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good Day. June of 2020 we picked up our first set of goslings hoping for a mating pair. Currently, Febuary 2021 the gander has been very aggressive with the goose. She's losing feathers all over, and balding spots on head and neck. The other day I watched him hold her head under water longer than I thought safe. Is this aggression normal? Please help, I'm very worried for her.
No other geese, just these two and 4 laying chickens, which he doesn't seem to notice. They are 10 month's old. He's very aggressive with my husband too. He actually charges him when his back is turned. And our mail carrier won't get out of her car. =(

She now has open sores on her neck and head. Is there an oinment I should use?

Attachments

• DSCN4598_01.JPG
    DSCN4598_01.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Ganders can remove feathers on the females, one of my buffs currently has a bald spot, weirdly she’s the one constantly propositioning Leo so she’s into it I guess? If it gets too bad, like if he’s actually injuring her, biting to the point of bleeding, or if he holds her head under too long you may have to seperate them, which is easier said than done because they’ll despair being apart.
This behavior will continue through breeding season.

She might not be cooperating which can make him more aggressive. Give them a shallow pan just deep enough in water that he can have the moister he needs to put his little tool away and be able to dip his head to preform his mating ritual. and she wouldn't get in unless she is ready to lift her tail. Put him in Gander Jail for a little while give her some deep water for a good bath and then do the same for him. During breading if the water is too deep he will get extra aggressive because he is trying to hold her down and float at the same time. Just some thoughts.

How long did he keep her head underwater to cause worry? Do you have any other ganders or geese around? How old are they?
Longer than I can hold my breath for, that's for sure. No other geese, just these two and 4 laying chickens, which he doesn't seem to notice. They are 10 month's old. He's very aggressive with my husband too. He actually charges him when his back is turned. And our mail carrier won't get out of her car. =(

Longer than I can hold my breath for, that's for sure. No other geese, just these two and 4 laying chickens, which he doesn't seem to notice. They are 10 month's old. He's very aggressive with my husband too. He actually charges him when his back is turned. And our mail carrier won't get out of her car. =(
I suggest you listen to the others. He is rather aggressive, but I don't know a lot about geese.

Back
Top Bottom