please help a novice! ID my girls!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jster, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Here are my little chickies...not so little anymore! There are three, Rascal is almost completely golden, Brownie is slightly darker and has some white around neck and tail feathers, and Mama has quite a splattering of white. Mama is also slightly slower (developmentally and, to be honest, mentally). I'm not completely sure how old they are, as we got them when they were a few weeks old, but I'm guesstimating about 16 weeks?!? Oh, and they came from a feedstore...

[​IMG]
    Above is Mama and Rascal, with Brownie's behind.

[​IMG]

Above is Rascal approaching, then Mama and Brownie in the back. (And, just for kicks, my cat is in the background playing chicken-cat, blocking the path the girls use to escape the yard, and of course pretending its all a coincidence.)

I can try to get better pictures if they will cooperate!

And while ya'll are at it, if anyone wants to predict when I'll get some eggs I'd love that info as well, hehe!

2. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    looks like some sex-links. Not sure which specific one LOL....they have so many names for em. Maybe golden Comets (?) The one too the back of the first pic looks like she's getting close to laying. My sex-links didn't start till about 24 weeks.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    They look like my red star sex links. They could be comet

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    They are all red sexlinks. They make very good layers.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

5. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    see I said golden because my red sex links are dark.....and RED. LOL

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I agree they are gold sex links, not red sex links. RSL's are a darker red. At least mine are.

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Our girl Rita looks just like that, and she was called a "Red sex link" by the feed store and hatchery. I think she's a Cinnamon Queen or Golden Comet though. Some SLW in there someplace, I think. Pretty girls!!

FYI, here is what Rita looked like at about 18.5 weeks (she started laying at exactly 20 weeks).. here's what her comb looked like: (compare to the same-age Bared Rock next to her!)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  8. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    They look just like our first hens. We still have 2 that are over 3yrs or so old and till this winter were still laying every day. We were told ours where ISA Browns but I think they are red sex links or golden sex links. Beautiful hens

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, they are sexlinks. Red/Gold/Isa/Cinnamon sexlinks. Everyone uses slightly different lines and different birds to make them.

10. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    I dont think they are sexlinks. But thats just me, they look more like New Hampshire Reds to me, but thats just me,...

~Casey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by