Please Help: Abandoned Ducklings (How do I care for ducklings??)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickLover98, May 6, 2011.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My neighbor works at newpig and he found some abandoned baby ducklings there. His wife told my mom that she may need my help keeping them alive (since I have all of the chickens brooder supplies and know how to care for chicks), but the problem is I dont really know how to care for ducklings. Is it the same as chickens? Please help! He is bringing them home tonight, or else they'd probably die of being cold and foodless. I really need help with this so I can be better prepared.
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Depends on what kinda ducks. Mallard not so tough. Wood duck a little more care needeed. Same food same temps different ways of getting woodies to eat. Can you take pics and post when they arrive ?

3. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Found it!!!

Okay,
    Ducklings NEED niacin (To make their bones strong, and prevent spraddle leg.),you can buy it at walgreens (Dosage= 100mg per gallon of water).

You can buy medicated/non medicated chick starter, OR duckling crumbles (I use Purina flock raiser. Give that to them until laying age, at about 20 weeks, when you will switch to laying feed.)

You can use puppy training pads, or straw for bedding (I used both, and prefer puppy pads).

They need a heat lamp until 4 weeks (first week of life, they will need 90 degrees, and lower 5 degrees each week).

They need LOTS of cuddles, so they imprint, and will be nicer in the future.

www.metzerfarms.com also has a LOT of info, as well as a brooder, feeder, waterer, etc.

You might want to put a stuffed animal in with them, to keep them company.

http://www.liveducks.com/quickquack.html That link will hep you a LOT!!!

Also, you will need a list of treats!!! Here's a GREAT one that nettie made: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242460

They
    are almost full grown around 6 weeks, and will have most of their feathers then! To sex them, the males have a drake feather (Curly feather near tail), and females don't. Also, females have a LOUD full quack, while males have a raspy quack.

4. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah. I'm not sure if they will let me keep them here at my house or if they will want to deal with the duckies on their own. We live right behind a river that we will release them into once theyre old enough, but they will probably need warm for now. There are two of them. I'm pretty sure they cant be anything too fancy, being wild and all. Will they eat chicken feed out of the mini plastic feeder? Or I have a very (very) small double dog dish that I used in the past.

5. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    ... Oh and theyre not pets... We cant keep them, as they are wild, but momless.

6. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    They'll eat food out of anything! OH I forgot to say in the last post, They can go for swims in the tub at 1 week old, but only for 10-15 minutes! [​IMG]

7. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Ok. Thanks! But, uh, like I said, theyre not pets. I cant have them too attatched to humans. I have no idea how old they are either.

8. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Okay, then forget what I said about imprinting, and give them pretty much NO attention, so they stay wild, and remember how to forage, etc. [​IMG]

9. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    If you are worried about not getting attached and keeping them wild, I would look on line for a wildlife rehabilitator near you. They know how to take care of the babies and maybe they would let you volunteer there, that way you could keep a hand on taking care of them too and get to see them released if it gets to that point. Good for you for thinking about human imprinting, if you want to keep them wild. Good luck, God bless for taking them in. [​IMG]

10. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks! My sister was talking to my neighbor's son and he was being a ehem... jerk... about them. He said "All they need is food." So now theyre probably just gonna nab some of my chicken feed and keep em in a tote. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by