PLEASE HELP ABSOLUTE EMERGENCY CHICKEN HURT

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sundogz, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Sundogz

Sundogz In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    [IMAGES INCLUDED] We have no idea what happened but a fox tried to drag this bird through our fencing. The skin has been completely ripped away exposing her neck muscles + fatty tissues. She is unharmed other than the skin missing from her neck and still clucks and eats. Is there any hope for this bird???? PLEASE HELP!
    EDIT: She was injured at 6am this morning. At the time of writing this she has been okay for 9 daylight hours View attachment 1326008

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Clucking_Caramel likes this.
  2. Sundogz

Sundogz In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    She will eat and drink fine, her call is very weak and she will walk around but not run/fly. Should I flush the area with warm water? Attempt to bandage it? Some skin and fat is missing but the muscles seem undamaged. Does neosporin work as an antibiotic on chickens? Thank you!!! Please help our girl Bluebelle

3. Clucking_Caramel

Clucking_Caramel Chirping

Apr 2, 2018
    For injuries I use an povidone iodine anti-septic. It is safe on chickens, humans, horses etc. You should quarantine her for chickens tend to kill weak member of the flock and to not get an infection in the wound. I never bandaged a chicken wound, but also it has never been this bad. Keep her warm and stress free AWAY From the flock.

4. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    If she’s eating and drinking ok, and it doesn’t get infected, I think she’ll live. I’d be more worried about the fox. It’ll come back. Either make your coop Alcatraz or go on a fox hunt.

Clucking_Caramel likes this.
  5. Sundogz

Sundogz In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    Believe me it IS Alcatraz. The foxes have been trying to get birds for months now, but we've had a particularly long starving winter. They're getting desperate enough to try and force birds through the sheepwire??? Insane.

redranger209 likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vetericyn wound spray is good to use twice a day, plain triple antibiotic ointment is great for deep wounds like this. You may also initially clean with chlorhexidene or hibiclens, and water, or weakened betadine, and even plain saline.
    As long as she seems alert, eats and drinks she may make a full recovery. Bruising may appear on the skin as green. Clip any feathers getting into the wound. Separate her from others while she heals, but she may enjoy being in the coop near the others inside a wire dog crate with food and water. Good luck. Keep flies away from her wound.

Clucking_Caramel and Sundogz like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: