Please help /Added pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by countrygirl79, Dec 23, 2008.

1. countrygirl79

countrygirl79 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    HI could you please tell me at what age chicks develop the saddle feathers showing weather they are female or male. I have a 7 week old lavendar Araucana chicken who is well feathered out and the neck feathers and feathers in the saddle area are rounded at tips so im wondering if she is a girl or weather the roo's pointed feathers develop at a later age. I would love to post a pic but am unsure how to do it as im not very good with computers any advice on sexing her would be greatly appriciated as we hatched her/him out and we can't keep roo's where we are so very much hoping for a girl as it has the most delightful nature and the kids are very attached of course. Thanks again.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    A pic would be the best... Let me find you the link on how to post pics maybe that will help you !!

Do all there combs look the same ??

BRB with the link.

3. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
  4. countrygirl79

Oct 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  5. countrygirl79

Oct 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    Thank you very much SWTangel for you help with the pic's advice i manged to get it done.[​IMG]

6. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Araucana's are usually rumpless meaning that they will not have tail feathers. Araucana's will also have tufts at the ears. Ameraucana's will have tail feathers and muffs and a beard. Hens will feather out faster than roosters. From what I can see from the pictures this does appear to be a hen.

7. DEVILDOG

DEVILDOG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2008
    Beaufort SC
    I would say hen also. She could be a partly rumpless Araucana. She looks to have a crest too. I don't know were that would fit in though. Good looking bird though.

Here is a picture of one of my young clean headed Araucana pullets

[​IMG]

If you got her from a breeder maybe they were crossing to something to get the color. That is not a real common color.
    good luck with her Brad

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I Would say pullet. My Roo started developing differently at about 8 to 10 weeks old I could see that the feathers were different and his comb and wattles had started to develope and the others hadn't. Mine were all susposed to be pullets

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:No problem, Glad you got them posted !! I'm saying hen also, what a pretty girl !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by