Please Help/Adivce! New Chicks Sneezing/Slightly Raspy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ELindsay12, Mar 25, 2017.

1. ELindsay12

ELindsay12 New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on my chicks I purchased almost two weeks ago. They all seem very active, are eating and drinking. However, in the last two days some of them have started to sneeze and sound a bit raspy when they breath. They are still active. I'm not sure if there's something I should be doing to make them feel better? Or if this is the start of something I need to be worried about?

They are receiving Amproliom 9.6% Oral Solution Coccidostat every Monday in their water and Baxter Barn Immune Boost on Wednesdays in their water. I was told by the store I purchased them at this was their routine I should follow.

They are currently staying in a very large storage tub with pine shavings in my spare bedroom. They have a heat lamp and I change their food daily and try to change their water twice a day if needed (they like to kick a lot of the shavings and poo in there even with propping the water up a couple inches above the shavings).

I don't know if this makes a difference but here's the breeds I have:

3x - Easter Eggers
    3x - Crested Polish
    3x - Welsummers
    1x - Dark Brahama
    3x - Barred Plymouth Rocks
    2x - Red Shouldered Yokohamas

Some hatched on 3/2/2017 and the others on 3/9/2017.
    Thank you guys for any advice! I really appreciate it!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

How are your chicks doing?

Sometimes bedding and feed can be dusty which would cause some sneezing. How often do they sneeze?

Do you notice any mucous or discharge from the eyes or beak?

3. ELindsay12

ELindsay12 New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    Hello! Thank you for replying to me!

I think they are a little better. They only sneeze occasionally (maybe one sneeze an hour or every other hour). My major concern is a couple of them still seem raspy or like they have a rattle sound when I pick them up. I moved them to a whole new set up with slightly better pine bedding and have been changing all the bedding every couple days. They eat, drink and seem pretty active. I have not seen any discharge.

Also one of the chicks seems to be the same size as when I first got her. Everyone else seems to be larger than my hand and she's still smaller than my palm. Again all active, eating, drinking.

Should I just keep doing what I'm doing for now?

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I would continue doing what you're doing. Could be dust from the shavings or feed. If they continue, then you could try something like VetRx to see if there is any improvement.

Watch the smallest chick - see that she is eating/drinking well. Any chance she may be a bantam(?) Some chicks can seem to stop growing, then take off. If she is active and seems happy, eats/drinks, then just enjoy her and see what happens.

5. ELindsay12

ELindsay12 New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    Okay I'll continue what I'm doing, Thank you again! It's so nice to join an online group like this for advice! I just want to little gals to be happy and healthy.

The little one is either an Easter Egger or a Welsummer? I think? I'm still trying to learn and identify them. Attached is a photo of her. Her name is Zelda. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by