Please Help/advice-found my girl hanging upside down, think her leg is broken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmigrls, Oct 27, 2013.

1. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    She is a 3 yr old R. R. Found her hanging by her foot yesterday morning. Don't know how long she was like that. Her hind claw has caught on the chicken wire, think something spooked her. Took her inside to examine.. She can't stand and her leg is limber from the knee bone down to foot. No bones protruding but some raw skin. We decided to try a splint. She wouldn't stand on it but did eat and drink last night. This morning, noticed her foot was colder, more swollen, and blueish. So removed the splint thinking it was too tight. Made another double sided splint,and treated her wound. Her foot has warmed up, and she is eating, drinking, pooping, and tried to stand on the good one but hops instead. She is talking but seems to want rest. So she is in the basement for rehab, not sure what else to do for her.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

She may make a full recovery- give her time.

3. luvmigrls

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    I have been told 2 weeks is typical, seems like it has been longer then 10 days. I thought she was improving in that the swelling went down and she was eating ,drinking, and pooping. The last two days she has not been drinking and is eating very little, so I am more concerned now. She has swelling and redness in her foot and acts like it hurts when she puts weight on it. I am giving help electrolytes, raw cider vinegar, and baby aspirin in her water, and she is eating some cabbage and mealy worms. She is talking but not sure what she is wanting (haven't figured chicken language yet).I have researched the forums and sites on the problem and am at a loss of what to do next. I don't know if she is suffering or is just slow at recovery. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Oh, I also was wondering if she may be depressed. I have tried two time to get her sissy for monitored visit but the little crapper knows I am up to something. So luck with that.
    [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Poor girl! I don't know what to suggest to help. Hopefully someone else will respond.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I unfortunately don't know a lot about broken legs in chickens. I would continue to try to splint the leg, and most of all, let her rest. Keep her isolated from the other birds in a deep bedded area/dog crate, with no roost. It will probably take several weeks for the leg to heal. If she acts like she's in pain, you can give aspirin. Give one baby aspirin per three pounds of body weight. Crush them, and then mix with a little water or buttermilk, and give that to the bird in a syringe (or, I suppose, you could just let her drink it).

6. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't give her anything ending in Cain or canine as these can be really bad for chickens. Make sure you splint above and below the break.
    If the foot is swollen/red I would suggest an antibiotic as bones can become infected. As can any wounds which should be kept clean and an ointment antiseptic can be applied - choose one without a pain killer and dose with baby aspirin if you feel she needs it.
    My little one was hopping without bearing weight for 3 weeks and has only just started to limp. She's started to stretch the leg alot too.

I think these things can take a lot longer than 2 weeks depending in the break. Spend as much time as you can with her and once she is bearing weight a little a friend for her would be great.

Best of luck x

7. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

To clarify, when I say splint above and below the break I mean to the next joint :) and make sure the splint can't rub and make areas sore.
    I used 2 antibiotics one was tylan which was in her water, and the other was given orally in a syringe - I forget the name but one was to fight infection on the surface and one for possible infections in joints.
    I offered treats which had high protein as she was young like cat food, and if she is moulting you might like to do the same to help take some pressure off her.
    Vit b is also good for their immune system and red blood cells.

Hope she is eating and drinking. If not you might need to consider tubing her, but I would start with the antibiotics and the treats. I used to drop water onto the top of her beak and it would run inside through capillary action.

Let us know how you go on, they are very resilient and hopefully she will recover.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  8. luvmigrls

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Thanks for the feedback. I have been putting baby aspirin in her water. She didn't drink for 2 days so last night husband gave her some w/out. She stood on one foot and took 15 or so sips of water, must not like the aspirin taste ? She wont eat tuna but is eating some dried mealy worms, cracked walnuts, cabbage & broccoli. I am guessing I can get the Tylan (antibiotc) at the Ag supply. I will check there for the Vit B ? I will keep the splint on and as far as I can tell its goes from above the joint between the Tibia and the Metatarsus with sport bandage wrapped form the Patella to the foot. Does that sound right? My husband who found her believed the break to be the bottom part of the leg. The splint is the real thing, bendable with foam, and is on each side of the leg. We weren't sure if that is right but both times looking at it thought it best?? Anybody know about that? Am going to check on her again and give her some more TLC. She snuggles and falls asleep when I am holding her. Thanks again for all the help, will keep posted what goes on next.

[​IMG]

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could take 6 weeks for her leg to heal. They have poultry vitamins in jars and packets at the feed stores for the water. If you do use an antibiotic, you can use Tylan50 injectable, and give her 1 cc or ml orally daily very carefully so not to choke her. It is much cheaper than Tylan powder. I would leave the aspirin out of the water.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Now is probably a good time to get a baseline weight on her and if she loses weight you should consider tube feeding. Funny I should see this thread today as I found a hen hanging upside-down yesterday, but I think this one just dislocated something.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by