1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help again

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dbrberry, Jun 9, 2008.

1. dbrberry

dbrberry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    ok i've ran into another problem. my egg temp is just to high. it will reach a really high temp but it doesn't stay up high it's kinda like a yo-yo now. if i put in water to stable my temps then my humidity is way to high. could my light bulb be to high. i have a 25 watt soft white bulb.my egg temps got up to 106 but wasn't there very long. just a few minutes. should i just scrap this one and go buy a little giant? what about my eggs are they just totally done for at this point? please someone help

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Don't try to regulate the temp with water, adding water will only raise the humidity.

I found that the 25 watt bulb I started out with had wild temp swings, and when I increased it to 40 watts the temp swings were smaller. Ended up with a 60 watt and temp doesn't swing but a degree.

Try changing to a higher watt bulb and readjust your thermostat.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Trying to regulate temps in a homemade bator with a light bulb is really hard. Any surge or anything effects the temps. You will have better luck with a thermostat controlled bator like a little giant. Maybe you didn't fry the eggs, never toss them until you KNOW it's too late.

4. dbrberry

Jun 2, 2008
    ok trying a 60 watt but what should i do with my eggs i just put them in yestarday at 5pm i hope i haven't lost them

if i end up buying a little giant it's still air could i add a fan?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I HIGHLY doubt that you've lost them. I've had 2 huge temp swings all within the first 10 days and so far I have kicking embryo's in all of them.

I agree with the 60 watt bulb...that's what I had to do too. Are you using a thermostat or a dimmer to control the light bulb?

6. dbrberry

Jun 2, 2008
    thermostat

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I'd try the higher watt bulb. I traded my thermostat for a dimmer but that has it's problems as well.

I'm putting a thermostat in the bator I'm putting together this evening with a higher wattage bulb. That way it won't stay on for long before switching off. I've been looking at the ceramic bulbs at PetsMart. They don't have any light, just a heating coil inside them. I don't know if they're any better...just a thought.

8. dbrberry

Jun 2, 2008
    i'm trying the higher watt bulb now and have for most of the day. so far no different results. i'm having such a hard time with this. either it's to cold with light off or to high with light on. i jusy can't seem to find the middle. at this point the only thing that is right is the humidity could it be to many holes or not enough holes? should i just scrap this one and start again? my eggs have really been on a rollercoaster i'll be surprised if one hatches.

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    That's why I discarded the thermostat from my bator and use the dimmer. After this go round I think I'm going to save my $$ for a nice commercial bator.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    What kind of thermostat are you using? I went to the hardware store yesterday to get a thermostat (have a dimmer in mine) because I can't go anywhere for any period of time cuz I have to watch the temps. They sent me to a guy that really knew his stuff. The household thermostats they had only went to 90 so I asked about the water heater thermostat since that was the only thing I could find that went that hot. He said it wouldn't work for what I needed because the temps would fluctuate terribly, it just wasn't made for that. So here I am with my dimmer just because I don't want to take a chance switching mid hatch and cook my babies [​IMG] Good luck!
    Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by