Please Help! Agressive Roo Is trying to Kill My Hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilverFire5467, Nov 27, 2012.

1. SilverFire5467

SilverFire5467 In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    CT
    Hello, durring the summer I adopted a small flock of banti roos and hens. I spent the summer integrating them into my flock of normal sized birds and by fall everyone was ok. My big roo that ruled the flock died of a cyote attack, and ever since then, a new roo has taken control of the flock. He is a small black banti. For some strange reason he has rebelled against my hens from my orginal flock, one of them is so badly pecked the feathers ontop of her head are not growing back :( I had to seporate them, let them heal. Then this week I tried to let them all stay together, but he went right back to attacking them. This is not just about dominating them, they are petrified of every other bird. I am out of ideas, Anyone know if there is a solution besides getting rid of the black roo? or why He is so aggressive towards them?

2. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The only thing you can try is to isolate him from both the flocks for a couple of weeks so he'll lose his social standing. If that doesn't work... I'm sorry but get rid of him. Your girls work too hard for you to be abused by him under your watch.

3. SilverFire5467

SilverFire5467 In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    CT
    Yes ive tried isolation but then my other roosters get violent. I think im going to look for homes for them :( its tough but you are right, my hens are more important to me and they dont deserve the abuse.

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Songster

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Yes it is really difficult to train roosters to be nice to us or hens once they go "off" . I like to raise cockerels with old hens and an old rooster so that they are taught manners. Also, I try to keep pullets in their own pen as a young cockerel will often get frustrated and hurt a pullet if she isn't willing to breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by