Please HELP all 13 of my little ducks went missing.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by petitesphinx, Sep 8, 2008.

1. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Baby ducks are like chickens. You need to lock them up at night until they are older.

The could have wandered away.

They could have been a late snack for any number of predators.

Maybe they will come back. Maybe not. Sorry.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you have turtles in you pond...especially snappers, that's probably what got them. Even large catfish will take ducklings.

4. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Thank you for your comments...I went out again just now and saw them hunkered down hiding in the tall grass. I think they were scared of something...but I herded them back into the water and fed them.

*big sigh* they all there!!!

I'm stringing red christmas lights around this week to keep the preds away!!

5. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:um as far as Iknow animals, cannot see red light so my thinking is, its futile.

Hunters sometimes use red light filters when coyote hunting.
    Iknow when we lived in the booneys we always had red lights out to see by as the others cant see the color,
    hence infrared lighting?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Not to be negative, but I think you're wasting your time with the lights. The only thing to really protect them is to pen them at night.

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I agree lights are usless unless your'e using lights for you to see outside to scare a predator away...(but normally by then it's too late for you personally to scare them away...they'll have already eaten half of your brood).

Pen em up, safer than sorry. [​IMG]

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    dogs wolfs and coyotes cant see red or green lights, they can see that theres a "Light" but they cannot see the color, and with vision like that im sure those lil lights wouldn't look like much to them to even cause them to even be even a little bit hessitant.

I am betting something was working on getting your ducklings, and something else spooked the predator off, and your ducklings being terrified hid as long as they felt under attack.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

lights only help the predators.

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    My aunt has Indian Runner ducks. She never used red christmas lights but there is a big yard light out by where the ducks have their building. It has helped somewhat. I agree though the best way to keep them safe is to put them up at night in a secure area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by