1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help, all eggs got wasted

Discussion in 'Geese' started by yasir, Dec 22, 2011.

1. yasir

yasir New Egg

Dec 22, 2011
    Since almost 7 months i have a pair of geese, male and female, when i bought them ..after three days...she laid eggs.....i picked up all eggs they were six , not more than that..fearing some snake or rat would eat them..when all eggs were laid i mean i was waiting for the last egg to be laid..i put all the eggs under the geese.....for almost one and half month i could not see any baby...later on she left all the eggs abandon and throw them all after 48 days.....now i am confused again yesterday she laid one egg...what is way for hatching i want babies...i dont know what do u....they roam all over the lawn ...i have not made a proper place for them ..where ever they like the stay and move....but she choosed the same place where she laid eggs last time....she dugged ...hallow space and laid a egg....again the fearing thing is as she laid one eggs...she left the egg and starting moving for food ...leaving the egg as it is.....i feared again for snake or rat attack...what should i do now....i have high winter here this time....even now she is not sitting on her egg...moving here and there.....i not getting what do ...confused totally...i was sad last time when all eggs got wasted and no babies.....please help me guide me....my email "[email protected]'.......

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    She will not set until sher has a full nest. She has to start incubating all the eggs at the same time, so that they hatch at the same time.

My goose lays an egg every other day and won't set on the nest until she has about 10 eggs. That means 20 days that she looks like she is ignoring the eggs.

3. yasir

yasir New Egg

Dec 22, 2011
    Thanks....so i should leave the eggs...where she place them.....any thing to be done in winter...i dont have snowy winter...but its cold outside....

4. yasir

yasir New Egg

Dec 22, 2011
    Please answer.....

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It was freezing at night when my goose gathered her clutch. All but one of the eggs hatched. Give her some straw, or something she can cover the eggs with.

I figure the goose knows how to hatch eggs better than I do. Note, she will need protection from predators while she is setting. The gander should go on guard duty like a Delta Force Warrior, but he is no match for most of the creatures who would like to eat goose.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by