Please help!!! An eye pecked and smushed!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lucyboo, Feb 8, 2012.

1. lucyboo

lucyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    So today I woke up and went to feed the chickens and get the eggs. When I went to get them I saw my hen laying so i said,"hey Robin!!" she looked at me and her eye was swollen and smushed like flatter than the other eye that hadnt been messed with! So my instinct was to go get my mom but she had no clue what to do about it. I grabbed neosporine and warm water and cotton swabs. I just cleaned around the eye and then TRIED to put neosporine on it but of course she didnt want me touching her :) so I did the best i could but im scared that she cant either see out of it now or is going to get an infection and I dont know what to do about it. Oh i also put her in a dog pen so the other girls cant mess with her. I can post pics if needed. thanks!!!
    <3 kelsey

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You did fine. I'd put a little Neosporin in (or near, whatever you can) probably twice a day for 3 to 5 days. Maybe someone will hold her for you so you can aim better. Apply it very gently, just squirt a little on the eye or eyelid if you can, so you won't cause any more damage. It will work its way in.

3. lucyboo

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks for replying! Ok ill grab my mom or dad and make them hold her for me lol but i also have to add that when my dad got home he took a look at her and said it isnt smushed the skin is just swollen around it so it looks deflated. She seems like she can see out of it a little bit and has some liquid that keeps coming out of her eye and has matted her feathers under her face. We just built a new runner so maybe she will get better being able to run in a bigger space and not have the other hens so compact with her. Thanks again!
    God bless!!!
    <3 kelsey

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    It sounds to me like you did a FINE job. [​IMG] Let us know how miss Robin does?

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    If she seems to be under stress, you can also wrap her in a warm dry towel and put her in a smallish box or pet carrier and keep her inside for a few days. Also when your folks help you hold her have them wrap her ina towel, and lay her on her side. For some reason it's calming to them.

I have a bantam frizzle rooster (in my profile pic) named Batman. He gets so dirty that sometimes I bring him inside for a bath. He likes the warm water, and likes beign wrapped in a towel afterward. The moment I lay him on his back or side he seems very calm.

6. lucyboo

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanx [​IMG] I will ask if I can bring her inside but because I have two very large dogs I dont want them to eat her or bark in the garage knowing she is inside but I will ask. :) I love your rooster he is soooo cute!!!! Oh and I will make sure to put her on her side in a towel while doing the neosporine. Thanx soo much!! [​IMG]
    God bless!!
    <3 Kelsey
    oh and I will post tomorrow to tell how she is thanx again!!!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by