PLEASE HELP - ANITIBIOTIC "Super Booster" vitamin premix CHICKEN

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kidlee, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Kidlee

Kidlee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    Hello; Hope all is well. This is my second post on this thread. I have a rooster (Kiwi) who is 1 yr old, that I think came down with some kind of bug "virus". He is currently taking "Super Booster" a water soluble antibiotics and vitamin premixed for chickens. Also I noticed that one of the hens is showing the same symptoms, throwing up yellowish mucus, with loose white, with a bit of green BM. So she is also being treated at the same time.

Kiwi is not eating. I made a blend of mashed food for them but Kiwi is not eating (organic mashed potato, unpasteurized honey, sea salt, organic coconut oil, and regular chicken feed).

Should I add water to the mashed food and hand feed him with a syringe? Would other foods would be suitable when antibiotics is given?

How long should they be on the antibiotics? 4-5 days? Also would it be okay to give water too? or no way!

Thank you so much in advance. Much appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What exactly are you treating your rooster for? How old are your chickens? Do they have symptoms of respiratory disease (sneeze, nasal or eye drainage, swelling of the face or eye, or eye bubbles?) If your hen is throwing up, is her crop full and soft or full and hard? Your Super Booster has penicillin and streptomycin as well as vitamins in it. That would be good to treat some illnesses, but not others, especially respiratory infections. So I guess we need more info. I would try some chopped scramble eggs, canned tuna, raw hamburger or liver to tempt them to eat. Raw egg mixed with chicken feed is also good, but I wouldn't feed potato. Do you think they could have coccidiosis? Here are the symptoms: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

3. Kidlee

Oct 19, 2013
    Hello!!

Thank you so much for sending us the link to the coccidiosis symptoms. It was very helpful, thank you so much. Much appreciated. I don't think they have coccidiosis. But I'm not 100% sure. No signs of respiratory issues with either of them. No puffy, or watery eyes, or sneezing.

Here is the symptoms that they both have;
    - loose white stole (diarrhea) with green in it
    - throwing up mucus

Kiwi (rooster) had loss of appetite, but is now eating his regular food as of today after having oral antibiotics. He is standing, and not sitting. So his strength is there.

Question? how long should we have them on the liquid antibiotics. 4 or 5 days?

They are both drinking the liquid antibiotic "Super Booster" with no other liquids, and eating their regular dry food no problem now. We have them in the house where it's nice and warm.

Thank you so much in advance! It's much appreciated :)

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Streptomycin and penicllin are given orally for 3-5 days. Your chickens should be placed on probiotics after treatment to replace the good bacteria in their intestines. A small amount of plain yogurt would accomplish this. White in the stool is the urine. Green stool would indicate that they are not eating. They shouldn't be throwing up--please check for sour crop or crop stasis. This can happen when they are sick from other things and is usually a fungal infection. Here is another link to read: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

5. Kidlee

Oct 19, 2013
    Hello!

Yes, it sounds about right. It may be sour crop or crop stasis like to said. When Kiwi bends his head down to eat, that's when the mucus comes out of from his mouth. A little bit of pressure on this crop, forces fluid out from his mouth. So this explains why he was throwing up, and not eating.

In the morning when I picked him up outside, a lot fluid came out from his mouth, with undigested food. Didn't notice if it was foul smelling or not. I quickly got rid of it, and washed the floor down with warm water, and soap so the other chickens wouldn't get to it.

We already started the antibiotics. Not sure what to do now. Since it is more likely an infection, and not a virus.

I know when humans take antibiotics, we have to finish the course. Is it the same with chickens? Should I continue giving them the liquid "Super Booster" antibiotics for 4 days, or stop giving the antibiotics and treat the sour crop asap?

I read somewhere that someone treated sour crop with Monistat. Tomorrow is Sunday, and my only option is the Pharmacy Drug store.

Or should we continue with the antibiotics, and treat the sour crop at the same time with olive oil, soft bread, & yogurt without any medication for now?

Can sour crop infection be spread to another chicken? The reason I ask this, because both chickens have the same symptoms.

Any help is much appreciated. In the mean time, we'll start massaging the crop now. Thank you so much for your kind help. It's very much appreciated! :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens can get sour crop if they have had impacted crop, and the contents start to rot and mix with fresh food. Maybe they both had it, but crop stasis can result from other illnesses. Since sour crop, a fungal infection can be made worse by giving antibiotics, I would stop the AB's if you think they have it. It didn't sound like they really needed them anyway, unless you were treating slamonella or dome other intestinal disease. Nystatin is a good treatment for sour crop, and Medistatin is the same drug online that is available without prescription. Sour crop is very hard to treat.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can also get fluconazole (Diflucan) without a prescription, just do a search for fluconazole for fish. I recently gave a hen a full blown yeast infection while treating her with Baytril, the fluconazole save her life!

If you live in Canada, it's sold OTC as Canesoral.

-Kathy

8. Kidlee

Oct 19, 2013
    So happy to hear about your hen! :) Could you please tell me how much "Canesoral" I should give him? Thank you so much for your time during this time. Much appreciated

9. Kidlee

Oct 19, 2013
    He seems better today. Tried to drain his crop buy tilting his body forward, and massaging the crop. Nothing came out. Too scared to force it out. His crop is not that full now. A lot of stuff came out yesterday morning. Today it's much smaller, soft and a bit swollen. We gave him some olive oil, and warm water, and stopped the antibiotics. Not sure if we should try to drain his crop tomorrow morning or not. Will buy the Canesoral today, like someone suggested, and yogurt. Thank you so much for all your help :) At least we know what it is now, Thank you!

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Let me know how much he weighs and I'll look it up for you.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by