Please help. Another chicken is sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hoover67, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    We lost a chicken yesterday. I thought it was a compacted crop. Today another chicken is showing the same signs.... very lethargic (no water eyes or sneezing)

Yesterday the chicken that dies had green poop at one time. I am not sure as of now whether this one does.

Other than lethargy, it seems/looks okay. I did see it eating this morning.

Any suggestions?[​IMG]

I do not want to loose all of my chickens!

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Have you isolated the suspect?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    What breed? What ages? What are you feeding? Where did the chickens come from?

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, keljonma. I just read it all, and I think we need more info. to help you, Hoover.

Can you tell us more about their housing? What does their diet consist of? Do they have access to clean, fresh water every day? Is it possible your feed is moldy? The more info. you can give us, the better we can help...even if it seems insignificant, those little details can sometimes make a big difference.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    In addition to above questions, have the chickens been wormed? If so, with what and when?

I had a hen get deathly ill (extremely lethargic the only symptom) on Labor Day afternoon after seeming to be just fine that very morning. Blood work at the vets that day - brought her in as emergency - revealed notable infection and/or inflammation. She seems to be rallying with antibiotics (hopefully). Cause of problem still unknown but based on her blood work she would probably be gone without the medical intervention.

These little darlings can be such mysteries.

JJ

7. Hoover67

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Quote:See responses in the quote![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    gosh, it sounds like you're doing everything you should be...do they have free-chocie grit as well?

What do use for bedding in the coop - how long are they in the coop versus freeranging?

Yep, they love watermelon!!

Any other symptoms at all that you can share with us? Is she walking okay, does she stand around with her eyes closed, do you see any discharge from her eyes or nose?

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    How old is she? Has she been laying eggs? Do you know when the last one was? Is oyster shell or equivalent available always? Is she or has she been molting yet this year? When? JJ

10. Hoover67

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Free-range: early morning to bed-time

No discharge

Will stand with eyes closed but mainly sits with eyes closed.

12-13 weeks old

The soil is mainly composed of a sand clay mixture (clay tennis court) as well as a huge sand box - they prefer the sand clay mixture to "bathe" in and lay in.

Don't think they have molted - have never really seen it!!!!

Chips/shaving - the same as used in the horse barn of friend of mine.

Obviously I know nothing about these birds!!!! This is so stressful. She does drink water. We go out every hour or two to make her drink water. Doesn't seem to be hungry. She ate this morning though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by