Please help answer my ? Silkie owners :) pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Break an Egg, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    In your experience, does size of the chick have anything to do with gender? I have 2 blue silkies that look like little football players at 4 days old, fluffy everywhere and round looking. They look like they have been put in the dryer for too long. I am wondering now if the butterballs are going to turn out to be roos.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    hello?

3. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    Are you comparing them to other silkies the same age? - Out of my four, one was a boy and he definetly grew at a faster pace than the girls.

4. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:Well, I have 2 blue that are round, and 2 black that aren't so round. I will see if I can get a pic.

5. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    [​IMG]
    here is my black silkie

[​IMG]
    and here is hippo the blue silkie

6. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    I got 2 chicks from another byc member, hatched together, now one is twice the size of the other, so I thought ok, I have a pullet and a roo. But yesterday the little one was in a knock down drag out chest bumping fight with a little sebright chick...so [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No. Size of a newly hatched chick has more to do with the size of the egg its Mama laid than anything else. Most of the time you will not see gender related size differences until you can already tell by other features.

Chest bumping chicken fights also have nothing to do with gender. Hens fight too; it is called "establishing the pecking order."

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  8. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Quote:

Good to know!!! I really wanted my lavender chick to be a pullet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by