Please Help!! - Any Tips For Sexing Barnevelders? Sorry..no Photo Yet

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LeanneAndSteve, Jul 18, 2010.

1. LeanneAndSteve

LeanneAndSteve New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    I have two barnevelder chicks, approx 4 weeks old. One is very leggy, with more gold flecking than the other, a fairly well developed, sort of pointy looking tail, but the lesser comb development of the two. Originally thought roo on this one.

Second chick is slightly smaller, and sometimes I think it looks more squat than the other, darker colouring (less gold flecking)in the feathers, a softer, fluffier, blunter looking tail, with a couple of feathers that almost seem like they have been stuck on the wrong way round. It has more comb development than the other one, but despite that, due to the body shape and colouring I thought pullet originally.

However now I have been told that 'curly' tail feathers in barnevelders means cockerel; that combs are a bad indicator for this breed as cockerels and pullets both get early comb development, but that cockerels generally get their wattles earlier. Do I have one of each? or are they likely to be both cockerels? or even both pullets (though I think that might be wishful thinking! [​IMG] ) Any ideas appreciated.

Sorry there are no photos. Can take them, but only on a phone camera, and they tend to be pretty hopeless shots with very hard-to-see detail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by