Please help, anyone!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lizz21, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Lizz21

Lizz21 New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    My baby chick was recently injured by my niece. She accidentally squash its head under a basket, his left eye is swollen, he doesn't chirp anymore, could still stand and move, he could extend his neck but won't eat or drink water. All he wants to do is sleep. I'm sure its in a lot of pain. Anybody might know whats wrong with him and what I could do to help?

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Broken/dislocated jaw, facial trauma, head trauma, eye trauma, etc. are all quite possible with this kind of injury. There aren't really any medications that I can think of that will help with those issues, and the prognosis is unfortunately not so great. Never let young children handle chicks for this reason.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]
    If you have an eyedropper, maybe you can try to get some sugar water in its beak. Try not to get it in its nostrils. Heat and a soft hangout if this is an unrecoverable injury. Mistakes do happen, unfortunately, and it could be a learning lesson for your niece if handled matter-of-factly and with love.

2 people like this.
  4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    keep him in a darkened room, drip water drops on his beak - might add some of his feed to the water to make a broth, and let him know you are there and love him, it will really be 50-50 but you will have tried- he may surprise you

1 person likes this.
  5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    :( what a sad story ! never let young kids play with chicks they are not toys. you can try the eye dropper carefully if she didnt crush his jaw.. i pray your chick makes it poor little baby! at this point try to nurish it with a eye dropper carefully incase her jaw and skull are crushed. i really really wish i could help the chick more. you have no idea the extent of injuries inflicted on her at this point and very very sadly it does NOT sound good! but please try to keep her comfortable. keep us posted on her condition ! best wishes to the chick.

1 person likes this.
  6. amnich

amnich Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Let the chick sleep for a while if that is what it wants to do. You don't want to tire or stress it out too much. If you haven't already, separate it from the other chicks so that it doesn't get picked on due to it's injuries. Make sure it is warm enough. After some rest, see if it will eat or drink on it's own. If it won't try using the eyedropper to make it drink, as suggested. For some more energy, put a LITTLE bit of sugar in the water, not too much or it will be counterproductive and make the chick worse. It's possible chick feed will be too tough for the chick to eat if it has been severely injured, so I would suggest adding water to the feed to soften it, and supplementing that food with small bits of hard boiled egg for some protein. Give it a while, chickens are very resilient animals and can recover from much more than we usually expect. Hope the baby will be ok.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lizz21

Lizz21 New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Thanx guys. He's gotten worse :( this time he won't stand up nor open either eyes. I really need a miracle or someone who knows the anatomy of a chick to please come and take a look at him. I need to know if he's going to make it and if there's still any possibilities. I'm sorry but I'm just not ready to let him go. :'(

8. Lizz21

Lizz21 New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is all he does, just lay there :(

9. Lizz21

Lizz21 New Egg

Mar 14, 2013

10. Lizz21

Lizz21 New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    thank you!