PLEASE HELP.. Araucana, Roo's or pullet's??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by byronallo, Jul 31, 2013.

1. byronallo

byronallo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    England.
    Hi,
    I have recently done my first hatch of Araucana eggs (the tailed uk breed). I did them in two incubators, a week apart.

These three are the first batch that hatched and are now four and half weeks old. Does anyone have an idea what sex they could be??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help really appreciated.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I would say the first and third are cockerels. I am leaning towards cockerel on the second one too, but I would give it a bit more time.

3. byronallo

Jun 23, 2013
    England.
    That's what i feared, thanks for your help.

Could you tell me what makes you sway that way so i can look for that in the others and as they get older??

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My vote is #1 is a boy, #3 most probably is, and #2 could be. Going on the color and size of the comb, you really do not want to see any pink/red at that age and the comb should be quite small.

5. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    You're looking for early red-ish comb and larger combs than other chicks in the hatch. Pullets will keep tiny orange combs until they are around 12 weeks old. By then you can usually tell easily who's a boy and who isn't.

6. byronallo

Jun 23, 2013
    England.
    The first ones comb is far larger than the rest and very pink/light red.. Not sure if this means anything as far as gender is concerned, but is the biggest chick too.

I hope I don't get all cockerels

7. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    I think #1 & #3 are roosters but i would wait a bit.

8. byronallo

Jun 23, 2013
    England.
    Thanks for the help everyone.. Looks like I'm going to wait impatiently for a while longer [​IMG]

9. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    British Tailed Araucanas are notoriously hard to sex.

I bought 2 from a breeder; both she and I agreed they were both pullets @ 2 1/2 months old. Well, after a few months, one started to develop hackle and saddle feathers - didn't crow though.
    I swapped him for another pullet, but be warned, this breed can hide its sex for ages.

10. byronallo

Jun 23, 2013
    England.
    Thanks for letting me know that, I'll just hold on a while and hope for the best. Cheers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by