please help ASAP! Found a baby pigeon

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bock, Sep 18, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    My dog stole a baby pigeon from a nest some of my homers hid in the shed. I have no idea how to keep it warm through the night. It ate some bread and water from between my fingers, but I think it is cold. Please help I can't hold it all night. Thank you for the help! [​IMG]

2. 2cool4you

2cool4you Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    You could always put it back in the nest but barring that use a heating pad on low under a box with a towel in it.

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Yes a heating pad would work well or a chick brooder light. I have personally hand raised many baby pigeons and I found the best feed for them was just ground up game bird starter mixed with water until it had a soupy consistency. They did great on it! Good luck and keep us posted on its progress.

4. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    I have rehabbed and released about 50 pigeons this year and it's pretty easy to take care of them if you can't return it to the nest. If you CAN, then try and put the baby back in the nest, but if not, a box with a folded towel on the bottom and a heating pad under HALF of the box set on medium so that if the baby gets too hot, it can move to the other side. Do not give the baby bread and water, bread has absolutely no nutrition.

If you can't return the baby back to the nest, pigeons aren't really considered worth saving by wildlife rehabs and most will put them down or feed them to their raptors. So you will need to raise it. The best thing to get for a baby pigeon is Kaytee Exact baby bird formula. Pigeons have to be fed differently from other birds. But I'm sure you know that already if you have homers. I use a syringe, 1 cc, and open the baby's mouth and put the syringe all the way down the babys throat into the crop. When the bird is facing you, the crop will be on the left. Once you give a few feedings, the baby will start opening it's mouth for you and flapping its wings to ask for food every time it sees you. I usually give baby pigeons 2 to 3 syringe fulls if they're just hatched.

Is this baby feathered or is it still yellow and fuzzy? How big is it and does it have any injuries from the dog?

5. Kasia

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    Oh, I forgot to add, if you have no baby bird formula, then in a pinch you can use layer mash, cat food kibble and a hard boiled egg, add water, put in blender and blend it into a consistancy that resembles pea soup. You can store it in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze a portion to use later. Don't feed the baby any food straight from the fridge, warm it up by floating it in warm water, not hot.

6. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank you for all the help! I boiled some water last night and put it in a metal water bottle in a shoe box with a towel last night. This morning he was peeping and the water wasn't warm any more. So I just warmed it back up. He was trying to eat out of my hand, so I will feed him what you suggested. But what would be better to use, layer mash or medicated chick starter? I have TOTW cat food I could mix in too and eggs. He looks to be about 3-4 days old, and I see no visible injuries from the dog. He can open his eyes too, but he doesn't do it very often. I will try to return him to his parents in a few hours, but if for some reason they wont take him back, then I will buy some Kaytee Exact. Oh yeah, and for now, can I just feed him out of an old little lotion bottle and take the lid of so he can put his beak in? Thanks so much! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  7. Kasia

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    Yes! You sure can feed him out of a little bottle if he's willing and able, that's a lot easier than syringe feeding him. Don't use medicated chick starter. Just regular layer is better. When I dont' have Kaytee, since it's pretty pricey, I feed my pigeon babies what I told you above, and as they get older, I add some apples and carrots to the mix.

Baby pigeons are great, then stand up and flapp their wings when they see you coming with and it's just amazing how friendly they are. When he's older and eating on his own, you can start to intruduce him to the adults. I have one pair that hatched one baby that died. We got other baby pigeons a week later and I stuck them in there and the parents were leary at first, but then too over full care of the babies, feeding them and all. So even if you moved the nest, the parents may still accept the baby, especially if they hear it crying. You will be amazed at their parental instinct, they are WONDERFUL parents, very dedicated.

8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I used medicated chick starter, will it hurt him? I will get some Kaytee, if I don't put him back with his parents. I will go see if they are still there. Thank you! [​IMG]

9. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    i don't suggest kaytee there a bad brand i would use LAFEBER'S instant Nutri-start baby bird formula or zupreem...and remember to heat it up to about 95°F and i dont think the one use will kill him

10. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Why do you say Kaytee is a bad brand? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by