Please help ASAP! My new meat birds are dying on their back.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LaynaDon95, Feb 15, 2013.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I just got a shipment of meat birds from Ideal yesterday. They are about 2 days old now and 3 have already died. I found one on it's back last night, alive, looking like he had splayed leg. I taped him up, he could walk fine, so I put him back in. I found him dead this morning, on his back and 2 others like him. They aren't acting funny, other than looking like they are getting splayed leg. Could splayed leg really be causing this? Should I change the flooring of the brooder for now? I see a few others starting to show the same signs. What do I do? Please help ASAP. I can't afford for them to all die.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    What is your brooder temp?
    What is the flooring/bedding?
    What are you feeding? Are they eating?
    Are they drinking?

3. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    It could be the resulting shipping stress. Sometimes they just don't make it. It sounds like everything your doing is good. I usually don't have a thermometer in my brooder but as long as they aren't piling it sounds fine.

Are you checking for pasty butt? Any problems with the abdomen/naval area in the ones that died?

You may want to post in the emergency section too.

5. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I've not really checked for pasty butt, but I just picked them all up to put the sheet in the brooder and didn't notice anything. I'll check. I did notice their bellies felt "full", but they are eating a lot and I'm not sure how "full" meat birds tummies are supposed to feel. This is my first time raising them. Could the have ascites so young?

6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    BTW, the puppy in your pic is SO cute! Is he/she a pyr?

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    They just keep getting worse! Every time I look at them I find at least one more on it's back. No more have died yet, but one is so weak it probably will soon. I don't know what's happening. They seemed fine yesterday.

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If you have electrolytes available, like save-a-chick you can try that. Maybe try some sugar water to pep them up? Spraddle leg wouldn't kill them unless untreated for so long they couldn't get to water/feed.

The only thing that I'm familiar with dealing with their belly is omphalitis which is basically an infection from unhealed navals. Not sure about ascites.

Yes the pup is a Pyr, he's 5 months old in the pic and with his best friend, my 12 lb Shih Tzu.

9. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    They had electrolytes. I read that too much salt can cause something like this in meat birds, and the electrolytes I gave them are kinda high in salt (Though I don't think it should be too high) so to cover all the bases I replaced them with plain water and I'm trying to get them to eat mashed bananas to help lower the salt level in their bodies. We'll see. So far I haven't found any new sickly ones *knocks on wood* but the sickly ones I already have aren't getting any better. [​IMG]

He's really cute. I love GPs. Both my dogs are mutts. I know Maggie's mom was a black lab, but Toby could be part turtle for all I know. No one knows where he came from.

10. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Another dead and another dying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by