Please help asap: twisted neck! Kill or wait?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Siltattahoe, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Siltattahoe

Siltattahoe New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    We found one of our young hens in the coop this morning with the other chickens stumping all over her. She has a twisted neck to the point that the head looks completely upside down. We thought the neck might be broken. We took her out and she is sitting in a cardboard box right now. She can straighten her neck to be in normal position and has even pecked at some food and drank a sip of water. But then (I guess when she relaxes) her neck and head turn back into the abnormal position. Is this "just" a kinked neck or is is a broken neck?? Chickens don't show pain too well, so we don't know how much she is suffering. Should we kill her immediately or give her some time to get better?!? Obviously, we are not experienced farmers and need some professional advice here. Thank you!

In first photo you can hardly see head as it's twisted around. Second photo shows hen trying to get head in regular position.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances and that your girl is unwell. From what you have described it sounds like she is suffering from wry neck. What breed is your hen? Some breeds are more susceptible to this and it can be caused by a number of things. Head injury, vitamin deficiency to name a couple. You will need to keep her seperate somewhere quiet and make sure she eats and drinks. You may need to help her with feeding and taking water. Often it's not the wry neck that kills them but malnutrition and dehydration. Starting her on some vitamins as soon as possible can help rectify her problem but it's often a long slow road. Do you have any polyvisol (non iron)?

Here are some threads and articles on wry neck that I hope you find helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Wry+neck+#

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Wry neck is only a neurological symptom of many problems, such as head injury, vitamin deficiency, brain inflammation, a hereditary predisposition, and in later stages of Mareks disease, leukosis, fowl cholera, and some respiratory diseases. If she showing any other symptoms that you see?
    Most people separate if they are getting pecked or bullied or for less stimulation. Give a poultry vitamin that contains vitamin E and thiamine, and some chopped egg or tuna for selenium. If she cannot relax he neck to eat or drink enough, take her in a towel wrap, and feed her a wet mash of chicken feed, egg, and water in a bowl to help her eat. Some chickens respond sooner than later, and some do not.
    Here are some articles and a thread that you may read:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

4. Siltattahoe

Siltattahoe New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    Thank you, people, for responding so fast! I wasn't thinking it's wry neck as the hen looked totally normal just yesterday and all of the sudden today that twisted neck. Wouldn't wry neck develop more slowly over time?

I am building her a separate enclosure inside of the coop so the other hens won't harm her. I'll take her out intermittendly to feed and water as suggested.

I don't have access to vitamins and special foods at the moment as we are in the mountains with serious flooding and snow blockages all around but will see if Amazon Prime could deliver something asap. Hope she'll last that long.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    You are most welcome and good luck with her :fl

6. Siltattahoe

Siltattahoe New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    Ha, I found her a vitamin mix: our cockatiel Avian Plus Vitamin and Mineral Supplement contains all of the above mentioned vitamins! Made her a mush and she ate it up (had to hold the bowl up for her.) She's drinking, too. Looks terrible, though. We'll keep you posted. (Or send more suggestions if you have).
    Thanks.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That's good that you have the vitamins. Yes, wry neck ((torticolis) can suddenly appear. Let us know how she gets along periodically or if you have questions.

8. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    I have a rooster who I had to help out the shell in the incubator with a twisted neck. I assume his would be hereditary and not fixable with vitamins etc? Poor fella turns his head upside down when he gets frightened or excited. I have been feeding him on my knee to make sure he gets enough to eat, but am wondering if it would be better to send him to heaven?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is your rooster doing? Are you given him vitamin E and selenium? B vitamins may alao help. How old is he? Selenium is found in egg, canned tuna, and in supplements. Wry neck sometimes gets better, sometimes not. It is caused by a number of conditions. Feeding them several times a day feed mixed with water and a little egg may get enough into him to keep his nutrition up until his neck improves. You will need to decide for yourself how long to keep helping him.

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Check this out Eggsessive. Cool homemade ways to handle vitamin deficiencies, . This is for curled toes not wry neck but thought it was really interesting.

Curled toe paralysis. Riboflavin & Selenium deficiency in poultry. Codornices riboflavina Cailles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by