Please help asap!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlj1212, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jlj1212

jlj1212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    One of our beautiful RIR's was just attacked by the neighbors dog that jumped the fence.
    She's got a wound on her back and is coughing up blood, is she basically going to die?
    Anything that we can do ? OMG I am freaking out right now and so angry !

2. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Coughing up blood is not a good sign. I think first thing to do is control the bleeding from the wound. Next, get her somewhere quiet and warm.

Www.hencam.com or chicken chick lists a type of wound care product that can be packed into a wound. Probably also apply Vetericin to the wound.

Those are the things I would start with, based on research, not actual experience.

Good luck and hugs.
    E

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Hopefully you have her isolated. I would put her in an animal carrier. Do you have a vet that treats birds? If not, clean the wound as best you can, I've used antibacterial soap with good results. I would wait to give her food, but maybe give her some water. Dip her beak in it. Keep her warm. Hopefully you can get some better advice soon.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. jlj1212

Aug 28, 2013
    She is seperated. She is in a atorage tub with chicken wire on top and inside the house.
    I called tsc and they saod to keep her warm over night. If she wants to eat tomorrow she might sirvive if she doesn't then it doesn't look good. So its a waiting game until tomorrow.

5. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hope she will be ok. So sorry. Did you report the dog?

6. jlj1212

Aug 28, 2013
    I am going to!! A tad bit worried because we live in MI and worried I might be given a hard time about ownkng chicke s but we have the right to farm law so I am good just gotta remain strong!

7. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Keeping her warm is good advice - 85 degrees is the ideal temperature. Heat lamp, heating pad, space heater, or even a lamp next to her will help. I would offer water.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Keep us updated. I would agree that if she survives the night and seems interested in food tomorrow she should make it. I would cook up an egg for her in the morning. Good luck. And I would definitely put up a fight, that is not safe if that dog can jump it's fence!

1 person likes this.
  10. jlj1212

Aug 28, 2013
    just so sad and stressed out I love my chickens. I am an animal lover but not feeling very lovey to this dog that did this!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by