1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help! Attacked Scovy Missing Skin On Bottom Of Her Foot :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kerriliane, Dec 12, 2010.

1. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Warning, this link has a VERY graphic picture in it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=428985

I don't know what to do!
    It looks like something got her foot and she got free and flew to the safety of my roof where i found her this afternoon...

I've wrapped with gauze, then a cardboard splint, then vet wrap... and now shes in a dog crate with a bowl full of water, and a bowl full of some food, and some yogurt ...

Poor girl...

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its very hard to see from the photo just where the injury is- how deep it is- and if it may effect muscle nerves or bones in any way. Keeping the injury dry and clean to prevent infection is important. Other then that keeping her in a confined area - where she is comfortable is the best thing- Letting her walk around too much could delay healing.

If its just the webbing ripped- she should heal well and be fine- even if there is a rip or hole in the webbing. If it had damaged muscle bone or nerves- recovery will take much longer- and depending on the severity- she may have permanent damage.

Antibiotics if you have some on hand would be a good idea- as you dont know exactly what may have caused the injury. Watch that she doesnt go into shock- and watch her droppings over the next few days- She could also have an internal injury that is not apparent just by looking at her.

Poor Duckie..Hope she gets better soon.

3. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    I've posted a few more pictures.. post 7 or 8 i believe...

She pooped in the bathtub when i was cleaning her off... it was white and not like normal poop....
    I wrapped it with gauze, then a piece of cardboard as a splint, and then vetwrap.
    She doesnt try to get away from me at all.. I don't know if it's shock or what. she's trying to move it.. but I think it's very broken as before i wrapped it, with would flip backwards..
    You can tell from the 2 new photos how broken it is I think..

But literally, there is pretty much no skin on the bottom of the foot anymore [​IMG]
    I'll be re-wrapping it tomorrow.. should I apply polysporin?
    she's not really eating or drinking that I've noticed yet. but I've got food and water in the crate for her, and she's moved from where I initally put her.

Also, I tried to dip her bill in the yogurt just to get something into her and she ate it a bit, and only when i forced it...

It's SO sad!

I just don't know at this point whether I'm better off euthanizing her, or trying to fix her foot [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    At least give her a few days- the foot itself is not reason to cull her. She may well recover and be walking around normally very quickly. I hear what you are saying about the vet bills. I once rescued a pekin from a market- he had a facial abscess and cost me over $1000. Although not a favorite anymore- he isnt going anywhere- just because of the cost. I bought him a mate - who also had a mind disability and they both now have a forever home here with me. No way could I justify spending all that on him only to turn around and offer him at the going rate for a pekin. You can still provide her some care without it costing a fortune though. Try to stay away from any herbal or natural remedies though- in something so serious- they just wont cut it. She will need something with an antibiotic property to it. Antiseptic cream would also help. You can maybe get one alot cheaper for human use than something at a vet- but they will do the same thing.

It doesnt sound good if it is broken- but just something else to consider before making up your mind about her.... If you dont have the ability ( time or money ) to care for her as she recovers- there may be someone out there who can- and would be willing to take her for you. At least then you would know she has gone somewhere where she may live a normal life once healed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by