Please help...Baby chick issue

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by airickah, Jun 15, 2016.

1. airickah

airickah Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi,

I need some advice. About a week ago we purchased 2 baby chicks from a local feed store (we already have 4 big girls in the coop). One is a Lavender Orpington and the other is a Cream Legbar. They've been vaccinated and I've never had issues with losing chicks before. I had issue with pasty butt of one of my big girls when she was a baby and also had an issue with the whole flock sneezing but it was determined to be due to the bedding. Anyway, they are all healthy and fine.

The other night while holding my little Lavender I could feel her breathing was weird and she kept yawning excessively. I held her up to my ear and heard a weird sound (my husband describes it like a hissing sound). You can also feel that sound when you hold her. It was like a popping. After research I decided to massage her crop as it seemed abnormally big. While massaging it made those same sounds and after two times it stopped making the sound. It didn't seem to hurt her...she fell asleep while I did it. (Note: I haven't witnessed her yawning excessively since this happened. However, randomly when I pick her up I'll feel the popping)

My assumption was she's just eating too much. She was eating the pine bedding and I introduced them to a clump of grass/dirt from the yard and she went nuts for the grass. I recently noticed they haven't eaten their grit. I'm 90% sure she's eaten too much and hasn't been able to grind it down. I massaged her, we mixed their feed and grit together in hopes that they will eat both, removed the patch of grass from their brooder, and changed bedding from pine shavings to coconut cowboy (which she eats! I don't get it. I never had this problem with my last girls). Coconut Cowboy is a coconut fiber bedding our local feed store has. It was recommended to use with our big girls when they were babies because pine made them sneeze. They also have sav-a-chick probiotics and electrolytes in their water. She's dealing with some pasty butt however she's cleaning it herself (I haven't' felt the need to step in yet). My big girl had pasty butt and she never tried to clean it.

She's eating, drinking, playing, chirping and being completely normal. According to the store they were hatched on 6/1 and their temp of their brooder is between 88-90 degrees.

I need some advice. She's not acting sick. I feel like she's just a problem child lol. She literally eats anything and everything. And that seemed to be the concensus on my chicken group. I just don't want to wait if there's something wrong.

[​IMG] This photo is from today. We ventured outside to get some sun and she went nuts. Spreading her wings and laying out. She really enjoyed herself.

[​IMG]In the background you can see her pasty butt. She cleaned it it was more before the photo was taken.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
  3. airickah

Mar 1, 2016
    Do you have a photo or video of this on a chick or chicken? What I could find was on a baby robin and it looked nothing like her. She doesnt have a big lump under her wing. Her crop was full and eventually got smaller after she went potty. The symptoms sound similar but her symptoms sound similar to a couple chicken issues Ive read on.

4. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    No sorry. I just read that and thought it sounded similar. Sorry

5. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    With just the two, have you thought about going to just paper towels for a week or so to hopefully break the bedding eating? They are gorgeous--I wish my local feed store sold those two breeds! :)

6. airickah

Mar 1, 2016
    I will try that, thank you. This morning she had this bowel movement. Shes still eating. But her bottom feels hard. Like shes not passing what shes eating. Im so frustrated. I dont k ow what to do.

Thank you

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by