Please help baby chick not doing good.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Doodle777, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Doodle777

Doodle777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    My 3 week old baby chick isn't doing well.
    All of a sudden I noticed last night that she can't open her right eye and was having trouble walking. Today she can't really walk at all and I noticed a little blood in her poo.
    She has always been the runt and I have been feeding her by hand everyday. She was doing better and getting stronger each day and was almost to the point where I wouldn't have to hand feed her. I weighed her yesterday and she only weighs 2.4 oz.
    They are shipped chicks and one other one did die the day after I got them. But the other 10 seem to be doing great, other than a few pasty butts.
    Any help or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you think you saw a little blood in her droppings, it could be Coccidiosis. It can cause lethargy, droopiness, sleepiness, lack of appetite, and bloody droppings. I'd get some Corid (Amprolium), and begin treatment.

Or, she might have something internally wrong with her. Some runt chicks just don't make it. Hopefully, this isn't the case.

For now, I'd give her electrolytes, probiotics, and sugar water. Treat for Coccidiosis, and see if that helps.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    Could it cause her to not be able to walk overnight, all of a sudden?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure. Weak chicks don't usually walk very well or try to stand. Do her legs look okay?

5. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    They seem to look ok. I guess giving her corid at this point wouldn't hurt. Right ?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would treat with Corid .
    • 1.5 teaspoons 20% powder per gallon
    or
    • 2 teaspoons 9.6% liquid per gallon

Treat for 5-7 days, make fresh daily and make it the only source of water. If you have the liquid you could give one drop of it undiluted orally.

More Corid info here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  7. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    I gave her I drop, indiluted last night. She is not eating and will only drink a tiny bit of water if I hold it up to her. She doesn't look any better this morning. Maybe even a bit worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by