Please help?? Baby chicken walking on hocks!!

BrokenBaylee

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 29, 2014
Anson, Texas
Hi everyone, one of my baby chickens among my 9 is walking on her hocks.

She is about two weeks old, and we just noticed this about three days ago. We have no idea what to do! I heard something about maybe about crushing vitamin b complex into her/his food and water? SHe eats and drinks just fine, but she waddles and uses her wings to scoot around.
Please help!
Make instructions easy to follow, I'm only 16 and am raising chickens for FFA.
Thanks in advance :)
Also I live in a small town with the usual dollar stores and a small Walmart Express, so please tell me where to get anything if I need it. If I have to put my chicken down so he/she doesn't suffer I will, but if anyone has any idea of what is wrong please tell me!

Last edited:
You can get some poultry vitamins locally also. She needs to have riboflavin (vitamin B2) right away. in riboflavin deficiency, the riboflavin will only help if it is given soon, or the leg problems can be permanent. Until you go to the farm store to get some, use a B complex tablet crushed, or PolyVisol baby vitamins 2 drops orally, or even nutritional yeast (just a pinch) on her feed. Rooster Booster makes a variety of vitamins, too.

thank you Eggcessive!!!! Would giving her polyvisol along with b complex be too much? Also how many times a day would I give her the polyvisol?

Last edited:
thank you Eggcessive!!!! Would giving her polyvisol along with b complex be too much? Also how many times a day would I give her the polyvisol?
Just give the B Complex if you have it in her food or even dissolved in water--1 tablet to a quart. It's hard to overdose B vitamins. Or just give 2 drops of PolyVisol orally once a day--don't use both.

Thank you, I gave her Polyvisol at about 11 and its 4:15 and I can already see a little bit of a difference, although she is still walking on her hocks she is picking herself up better, thank you so much. I hope she heals completely in time.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update you guys, after giving her the polyvisol everyday since the 29th she is now walking normally! I CANNOT thank you guys enough! Thank you for your speedy replies and clear instructions it means the world!:) Consequently now all the other FFA kids who got chickens are coming to me asking why their chicken can't walk. Thanks you guys! ya'll rock :)

Back
Top Bottom