1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP! baby chicks eyes glued closed with mucus

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reyna123, Sep 22, 2010.

1. reyna123

reyna123 New Egg

Sep 22, 2010
    She was just hatched yesterday and i've noticed her eyes keep getting glued shut with mucus and i'm not sure what to do. The other six i hatched are totally fine but she looks miserable. I have been wiping them with warm water on a paper towel but every few hours they are back to shut. Is there anything i can do to help/cure her eyes?

2. OrganicEggs75

OrganicEggs75 Mottled Rosecomb Heaven

Jul 27, 2010
    Not sure sorry, I would just keep them clean and wipe them off every so often

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    What color is the mucus? is it clear and watery, thick, white? Has she or any other chick been sneezing or wheezing at all? If the mucus looks normal and there is no sneezing then I would say just keep up the warm water, hopefully she will improve. If the mucus is thick and white or any other color, or if there are any other symptoms you might try VetRx, I used it when my girls were sneezy and it cleared the problem right up. Sometimes eye goop just happens, if you keep cleaning it a couple times a day the chick will hopefully improve. Good luck!!

4. reyna123

reyna123 New Egg

Sep 22, 2010
    The mucus doesn't really look any color so i will just keep wiping it.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by