Please Help! Baby Duck With Eye Problem Since Last Night!!!

DuckyAndCo

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Fort Lauderdale
The baby duck we rescued a couple days ago is showing sign of eye problem. I noticed this yesterday when I held him. I thought he was sleeping but the other eye was open so then I noticed his left eye has a white thing that come and go, it also looks swollen a little and he seems to be upset for this.

His right eye seems to be better than his left one. The left eye ball looks bigger than previous days. Last night I gave him a warm bath in the sink with clean water and he loved it but he tried to clean his head and his left eye more than anything.

He eats fine and everything but I dont like the look of his eye. Please advise what it could be. There are not vets specialized in ducks in this area and those that are will want to rip me off.

If anybody went thru this experience and know what meds or treatment could be good for this little one. Maybe medication over the counter that can be used in a baby duck?

I'm posting 2 pictures I just took. I can not upload images here for some reason so I had to upload the pictures to a gif maker website so I can generate links to share with you guys. I'm posting the links of the images just in case.

I will appreciate as much help I can get. Tomorrow we will get him medication or something to help him. I dont want him to die.

Thank you! Any help will be appreciated.

https://i.imgflip.com/6jqzm.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/6jqrk.jpg

As ointment or cream? Any brand in particular? Where I buy this? As you see, I'm lost. My other duck I have never had any problem so far (I touch wood!).

Triple antibiotic cream is sold in drugstores and grocery stores, should be easy to find.

Letting him wash his head is a very very good thing to do. You can put a little apple cider vinegar in the water (not strong, just maybe a tablespoon in each gallon of water) that he washes with, it helps kill bacteria.

Any brand in particular that is safe to use on a duck? Can be Neosporin used on a ducky's eyes? Or should I buy an Triple Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment?

I know some come with pain reliever or steroids. I'm not sure if those can be good for a ducky.

Thanks for your fast reply.

No pain reliever, nothing that ends in -caine. I have read that is not good for ducks.

Not sure about the steroids, just the Neosporin without pain relief should work - that is what I use for infections for me and the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom