Please Help Baby Silkie Chick Dieing? Of? Help? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickrock, Dec 30, 2010.

1. chickrock

chickrock New Egg

Dec 30, 2010
    [​IMG] Hey guys! Sorry I have never been on this site and just found it all over google. So here is my question, Because I need help & have no idea what is wrong with my baby chick [​IMG] ..
    So I have a baby silkie chick about 12 weeks old. Was completely healthy until about 3 days ago.. It was 10 degrees outside so I brought mom hen & baby inside in my basement, where it is much warmer than outside. I went down there that afternoon to feed & give them water in there little room I didn't see the baby anywhere, then looked around some more & it was laid on its side just laying there [​IMG] I thought she? was dead but she? wasn't.. So I brought her upstairs to look at her and she couldn't walk? But everything else seemed normal , her body looks fine etc. I looked up some stuff on the internet about not walking its not splayed legs etc. & I have no idea , so the first afternoon I put mom and her in a box & propped her up where she wouldn't be on her side & Yesterday I found this little recipe for chicks and it was like one egg yolk honey oats etc. so I made that and she ate it all up! But still no walking or scooting or anything, I did not get her out all day yesterday .. But today I jsut got her out shes still doing the same thing. This is what I do know... She has feeling in both of her feet , She can move them both, but she can walk if i hold her up but she walks on her tippie toes so her legs are just like straight out & she walks on the very ends and like acts like she cant like bend her knees hocks? Im not sure. & She wants to move & is very alert & is eating lots not drinking too much though but is fighting.. Im just at a loss, Theres no chicken vets in my area so I dont know what to do!! PLEASE HELP ME! Please please please! I dont want my baby to do & I dont know what to do , to prevent it.

Thanks sooo much!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

There is a disease called Mareks that affects the one leg of baby and young chickens, it is a type of chicken cancer. Tumors form in the body and press on nerves and muscles, leading to a type of paralysis. It typically starts with a limping on one leg, then progressing to no use of legs, wing and neck then death .....but it takes time. Since your chick seemed to get hurt all of a sudden, she could have gotten stepped on by mom or something. Keep her propped up near shallow food and water. Put vitamins for birds in her water. Also give vitamin E, you can find them as gel caps at Walmart, prick one and dribble it into her beak or mix with food. It's good that she's eating, keep her drinking and still and see if she pulls out of it. Best Wishes

3. chickrock

chickrock New Egg

Dec 30, 2010
    Yeah I've heard of Mareks . ( I think thats how you spell it ) I am going to go get some Vitamin E. Also, the day before she was fine no limping no nothing ! Abseloutely normal ! She could of gotten stepped on or anything im also thinking because there is lots of high spots that she could of tried to jump on then fell off and just hurt something.. But shes propped up & i am making her eat & Drink.
    Hopefully she'll pull outta' this.. Because im only down to her & her mom.. My 2 adult Silkies both got killed ! [​IMG] So ... UGH!!!
    <3 Thanks for your help. Also, how long should I give her the vit. e?

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Try and give it for a week and see if any thing improves. I had a roo get attacked and could not stand. Took a few weeks of vitamins and Vitamin E, he finally got up and walked one day. If you don't have a poultry vitamin, Walmart carries poly vi sol liquid childrens vitamins, or look in the parrot section for bird vitamins.

5. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Is there any way you could put some picture on?

if she is still perky, that is most likely a good sign. That rules out a lot of diseases. Although marek's is still in (they can be fully conscious and alert but just have paralyzed legs). Otherwise, it could be a physical injury. Keep food and water easily accessible.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    theres a really great Silkie person named Bat Cave Silkies might PM her and see if she can give you some advise. Hope she gets through this.

7. chickrock

chickrock New Egg

Dec 30, 2010
    @ Taj Mahal..
    How do I post pictures on here !? I've never made a post besides this one so im not sure ! :-O But pretty much all she does while im holding her trying to get her to walk is just walk on her tip toes and stands straight up !!! Its very weird ! [​IMG]

8. chickrock

chickrock New Egg

Dec 30, 2010
    Also she still has feeling in her legs for sure. She can still move them I ran warm water on them and she panicked lol , trying to squirm away so i know she felt that ! & If i let her lay down she moves them like crazy to try and get up! This is why I dont get whats going on [​IMG]//

9. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    how do you post pictures?

On the tool bar on the top, click uploads

Click choose file, then brouse your pictures and select a picture.

After it uploaded your picture, click My Upload in the bottem lefthand corner.

Highlight and paste the image code under the picture that you wish to post.

Copy the code on to a post

Highlight it and click the Img button right above the smiley faces

I would then suggest adding WITH PICS to your title, because it will help to get you more answers.​

10. chickrock

chickrock New Egg

Dec 30, 2010
    BUMP!!!!
    Baby is doing a little better last night was strange though she didnt want to use her legs much but wants to use her wings now which she did not when I first found her not moving:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by