Please help, baby silkie with neck twisted!!

SilkieMomma

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
I have a baby silkie chick (maybe 2 days old) that my son brought in from the nest it is crying and its neck is twisted all around in an abnormal position. I think it may be in pain, it looks normal otherwise 5 toes etc... can somone please give me some advice?
Thanks
Lisa

I wonder if it is wry neck? It will help when you post pictures.
hugs.gif
Hopefully we can help

Deficiency of vitamins and minerals
Treatment, polyvisol without iron in the water and vitamin e . I have started adding minerals to my chicken feed to try and prevent this problem
You get polyvisol at the pharmacy , it is made for babies. You may be able to save the chick. I just cut a vitamin e capsule and squeeze some into the beak. Good luck

Thank you so much for your help, this is a black silkie chick and getting a picture that a person could even tell what they are looking at is very hard! I have had lots and lots of baby silkies and never experiened this before.
Lisa

Not to be a downer.. but...

be prepared for relapses.. some people have chicks get over wry neck and never have another problem.. however if it's the genetic version they will relapse over and over again because they genetically have a very hard time metabolizing the nutrients in the feed.. also if it's genetic they will more than likely pass it along to their chicks

I have a chick now with severe wry neck.. he has had several relapses already (his/hers is genetic.. and he was from a shipped egg).. I keep saying Im going to cull him.. then he has a good day so I put it off

If you wanted to take a picture, put the black chick on a light background, a towel or something. But wry neck is pretty much what it has to be. I only had one recover, then he got taken by a predator!
smack.gif
At least give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom