1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help! Backward legs. :( :( :(

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Qualara, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Qualara

Qualara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia
    Hi everyone. This little guy hatched 3 days ago, s/he was FINE 100% two days ago s/he had fallen down the side of a sock I have under an ecoglow heater and couldn't get back up. I found him/her 'flat' kind of, s/he's in good spirits and doesn't feel weak, just his/her legs wont move front so s/he can stand.
    How can I help him/her? I have one with splayed legs and I used a band aid to help her and she's walking again, maybe a similar contraption?

S/he is alert, eating and drinking (with assistance from me) and not in pain. S/he's also not having any tremors, I think this is purely physical and not viral.

[​IMG]

S/he's a sweety, can anyone please help. Euthanasia is not an option, s/he's not in pain.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

3. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia
  4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    looks like it could be dislocated hips from the fall. If you must take it to the vets or cull. sorry ...

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Sorry, that looked like a chick, not a quail. Hope she does well.

6. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia

I figured there was no going back for this little guy, so I made him a chair. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When he's older I'll make a wheel chair so he can push himself around. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia

Yes he looks very chicken like, but most defiantly a quail. :)

8. chickenpatch

chickenpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    It's most likely dislocated. I wouldn't try pushing the legs back yourself.

Ask a nice vet if they could do an X-ray or try and help for a small price

9. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    X2 on the vet. If you can't euthanize please take this little one to an avian vet so it can be evaluated and treated for best quality of life.

10. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Noticing where you are from, ask around for vets that will give discounts or are not too expensive. I'm lucky here as there is a great avian vet that is super cheap and knows what he is doing. Of course it's a long wait to get in to see him but for the price and expertise it's worth it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by