PLEASE HELP! Bantam hen with swollen wattles *PICS* update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mychickensrock, Jun 7, 2011.

1. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My husband found our little bantam hen on the roost this morning looking like this. She had a small area of matted feathers on the side of her head that we cleaned up. We thought there was a wound underneath, but could only find swollen purple skin. She is in a lot of pain. We have put a baby aspirin in 1 cup of water and offering that to her. Is that the right dosage. She seems like she wants to eat, but it hurts to open her beak. She also has a sticky, semi-clear discharge from her nose. We noticed that when we were touching the side of her head, the discharge was increased. Can not find any obvious injury. Does anyone know what this might be? Possible bite? She was fine last night when I closed up the coop.

Wednesday: She has been eating and drinking a little. She is still swollen this morning. Her wattles and neck look almost grey. She isn't super interested in food. I need to know what kind of antibiotics or what to give her. She kind of matches the symptoms of Coryza or Fowl Cholera. Yesterday she was oozing a pinkish discharge from her nostrils. This morning I had to clean out one of her nostrils because it was completely blocked with what looked like dry blood.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

No clue, but I would not give aspirin to a bird, their blood has a hard enough time clotting anyway.

The aspirin may make it worse-

Also for cats (cats are not birds but anyway a 10-12 pound cat) was dosed by the vet (before Metacam existed) 1/2 baby aspirin every third day- so you are also Over dosing your bird.

3. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I've seen lots of posts about putting baby aspirin in their water for pain. I just couldn't find a specific dosage, especially for a bantam. Most of the posts I can find about swollen wattles are due to frostbite, but it's been in the 90's, so no frostbite.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    I would start her on Tylan ASAP!!! Comes in both a drinkable powder or shot. I would suggest the shot if she is not eating and drinking well. You should be able to buy it at your local Tractor Supply or feed store along with syringes.

6. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Luckily there is a Tractor Supply about 15 minutes away. I am just overwhelmed trying to figure out what and how much to give her. She's a tiny little thing. Any idea the dosage for a bantam?

7. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    I believe it is 1/4 of a cc. We alternate in the breast and then the back of the neck. Not too deep and slightly draw to make sure there is no blood when administering. Of at it's the Tylan 50.

8. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Thank you so much for the information. Also about where to inject. I've never given anything a shot before. I am nervous about that part for sure. Heading out to Tractor Supply to get the Tylan 50.

9. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    How many injections per day and for how long? I want to be sure to get enough needles and meds.

10. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    That looks so painful, I hope she pulls through [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by