Please help before my chicken dies......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kylieschooks, Nov 11, 2013.

1. kylieschooks

kylieschooks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    My chicken has been ill for 4 weeks now I didn't know what was wrong, now she is weak I can catch her (before she would not let me) and I've noticed her crop is watery, nothing hard in there it just feels like water, I hung her upside down and massaged it and a bit of it came out! There is still loads in there, and also it didn't really smell if any thing. Is this sour crop? Have I left it to late to save her???

She is really thin now and I don't know what to do. Shall I keep massaging her? Shall I keep offering food and water???

Please help as we planned to cull her today, but now I'm hoping I've found the problem and might be able to fix it.

Thanks.

2. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    Any advise please????

Her crop is like a water bottle, she is really ill she is very very skinny! I have made her regurgitate a few times today and quite a bit comes out but it doesn't seem to be going down. Ive took food away from her, and I am going to get some water and ACV down her, also some bicarbonate soda aswell if possible.

Also her poo is white diarreah.

Any help would be appreciated.

3. Kessy09

Kessy09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Rural Manitoba
    I'm not sure what to do. Four weeks is an awfully long time for a chicken to be ill. Do not give her any acv. If it's sour crop that is the last thing that would help. Actually, it wouldn't help ever-just make it worse. Take her to the vet. At this point, she could have many issues contributing to her overall health since it's been so long.

4. Kessy09

Kessy09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Rural Manitoba
    Also forgot to address, if it IS sour crop you may be able to smell a sour, yeasty smell when she regurgitates. You shouldn't give anything orally for 12 hours. Keep her confined and monitor for her crop to entity. If it does after 12 hours try to give plain water. If she is still doing ok after 24 then give some soft food like scrambled egg or yogurt mixed into her pellets. Make sure the crop is emptying.

5. kylieschooks

Aug 19, 2013
    London
    Ok tha

Thanks for the advise. This is so stressful. I really want her to pull through, she was the biggest and strongest chook of them all.

4 weeks is a long time, at first I just thought she was under the weather, then I started to think it was some infection so started her on anti biotics, nothing improved, then I realised how weak she wAs and thin. She NEVER lets me catch her, when I managed to I knew something was really up with her.

I have made her sick 4 or 5 times today, and I don't know how long to do it for, as scared I might choke her. The crop does not seem to go down at all, and i have smelt the fluid and it doesn't really have much of a smell to it.

I've got her in a box under stairs, all cost and warm.'i know it might be cruel keeping her like this but something is telling me not to give up. I keep getting hope for her. I am trying everything possible to find out what's wrong!!

Also do you know if I can give her bicarbonate soda in water? Apparently helps???

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by